Saturday, June 29, 2013

June 28 My final report

SAM_29546 weeks, 42 days, 15,820 miles, 18 States, 6 Provinces and more memories and experiences than most will have in a lifetime. This was a bucket list trip and one that I put a lot of thought and planning into. I had a lot of people shake their heads at me, I had more than a few tell me I was crazy, but those folks that knew me personally, never questioned whether I would do the trip. They knew my passion and once I sink my teeth into something, I’m going to give it my best shot. Plus I had to fulfill the promise I made to go to Alaska and complete the dream that my Dad had for himself. There were so many reason to go and all the reason given to me on why not to go, made no sense and were all based on fear.

Then came the plan and the backup plans. I carried every tool that I needed to fit every bolt on my bike. I could fix a flat tire 4 different ways. I carried a tent, first aid kit, some food and water, not to camp every night, but to protect myself in case I faced the force of mother nature or the dreaded bike failure in the middle of nowhere. I had the ability to communicate in remote areas and as long as my bike would start, I could recharge the batteries that I needed to use the Spot Tracker. There is not much that I didn’t think of or consider for this trip. I had very few hiccups,(heated suit and camera failure), and none of the hiccups cost me time. I think that I actually over did it on a lot of my backup plans, but it gave me comfort knowing that they were there if I need it. Everything that I packed for this trip got used at least once and if that air pump had not been taken, I would have had a really long day in the middle of nowhere when that front tire went down between Prudhoe Bay and Coldfoot, Alaska.

I met so many great people along my travels. It restores your faith in the good of people when you see it first hand and communicate with them face to face. Turn off the Damn TV and get out of the city and go experience it. The world is not the evil dark place that ABC, CBS, and NBC try so hard to convince us in the news night after night. Remember, they are trying their best to sell commercials to generate revenue and drama, evil, and death will always have more draw than a good hearted news story like when a motorcyclists loses a toy named, “Dixie.” The story was meaningless, but if it made you smile and or laugh, then it was well done and worth it.

To all the friends that I know personally and the new friends that I met on the road, thanks for reading. Running into friends while on the road in places like Yellowstone, Astoria, and Denver was also great fun. Thanks to those at work who gave me the send off as my trip approached.  To the welcoming committee, that was a cool move and it did catch me off guard. Having cookies brought to me in a Victoria Secrets box was great to. Thanks to all that left comments and suggestions on places to see and do. Lastly, thanks to my family members that watched, read, and shared their thoughts and seemed to be having as much fun as I was while I was driving around this country and Canada.

So this concludes my great adventure and I had a great time. It makes me sad that it has come to an end. I’m very happy to be home and reunited with Lori and she can now rest easy knowing I’m safely home. I do not know what the future holds for me and the adventures that are yet to come, but I do know this. Go see the world, do not let others put fear in your mind. We live on a wonderful planet.

Live life so you have no regrets.

1 comment: