Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 17th Ride Report: Oh my!

P6170038First thing I want to do before I get into the ride report is to thank someone. No names and if they read it, they will know. Someone out there took it upon themselves to ship me a replacement for Dixie when I first reported it. They loaded my webpage, click on a date about 5 – 7 days ahead, and shipped the package to the hotel I had picked out. Pretty clever if I say so myself. Then the News Story broke in Vancouver and it was to late to take it back, it was in the mail. I emailed said good Samaritan and told them this. The story started when someone else gave it to me, then I created a story and a blog attachment to her, (Dixie), and so did the readers. Mark then lost her somehow. Then the News Story broke and it made it even more complicated. Look, originally even I was going to go buy a new toy, but I decided to just report it as it happened and take full credit for my blunder. I just can’t get my head wrapped another little toy at this late venture, so I thanked them for all their effort and trouble. I hope I didn’t offend them. I’ll take credit for that to. Now if Dixie was to miraculously reappear, then that would make a great blog post and story. So let’s just let it die unless.

My planned route today, I thought, was going to take me through more trees, then a scenic motorcycle tour, and then Crater Lake. Well almost none of that happened. I did see a few more trees but it was so brief, I knew that I didn’t do my homework well enough for this leg. Ok, the skies are crispy blue and the temperatures are 60-65, let’s just keep rolling.

My road was pretty but fast paced. Meaning that the speed limit was 55 or more. Not your typical expected speed limit on back road touring. Once I reached Cave P6170078Junction, I made my first turn off route. At first all was good. Then the road got incredibly narrow but it was still paved. Up and up I went and then the dreaded sign, asphalt turns to dirt. Ok, I can do this. I 80-20 tires, meaning that 20% is meant for dirt. The road is hard packed but there is a bit of loose rock, sometimes 1 to 2 inches deep. I still can do this. I was back at least 20 miles on this road and the last 5 all dirt when the Garmin said make a right turn. Ok, I turn right, I go 100 feet and stop. My exact words, “You’ve got to be kidding!” I knew what an ATV trail looked like and this was a ATV trail. This big A$$ BMW is not made for trails. I shake my head, and this is where most turn around or park and walk it a bit. I put her in gear and off I go. I can do this. Rocks are now softball size and ruts are anywhere from 6 –12 inches deep and me and BMW are not happy. The first flat I come to I stop. Pounder!!! Get off the bike, Start pushing back and forth to the tune of about a 15 point turn and retreat to the better dirt. It took me about 5 minutes to turn that beast around on that small trail because it was not much wider than the length of my bike.

P6170076Now what? I’m looking at a 23 mile back track from here. One road continues to points unknown and unknown condition. The second road that I’m looking at also looks like an ATV trail. Mark gets the laptop out and fires up Mapsource. I get my Latitude and Longitude off the Garmin itself. I plug them into the Software on the Laptop to pinpoint myself on the map. Damn, all roads lead to more unknown dirt for a minimum of 20 miles before they hit any road that says Highway. Well to me the only logical decision was to back track and retreat. So I retreated like a little girl with frilly panty's. It’s ok, sometimes we just have to admit we made a mistake and regroup. So I went to a local Subway, sat down with the laptop and Garmin and made a new route.

So here I sit at Crater Lake and yes Mark Trent, I’m camping. I have no way to recharge all my crap, so I will have to wait another day before I can blog this post. The Lake? What a beautiful and breath taking view on such a clear day. The water gives a new meaning to Blue. Tomorrow morning I will take more shots.

Pictures of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment