Saturday, June 8, 2013

A very relaxing day. Now I’m ready to roll.

Plan one of the day was not to set an alarm and if I woke up at 6am as per the normal lately, to go back to bed. I did all that and then some. I didn’t get up to start my day until 8am. Shower, breakfast, and made a little contact with my better half on the East Coast. Did I tell you that I feel so out of the news flick on what’s happening in the world that it alone is relaxing. If this is even a hint of retirement, it is something I will enjoy immensely.

SAM_3597So once I got all situated, I mounted my trusted steed and got moving to the BMW dealer. My main concern was that the locks on my Panniers since riding through all that dirt in Alaska are not working smoothly. My fear is that I get locked out of my own bags. Wouldn't that be something? All I was looking for was just a little advice on whether to use wd-40 or just graphite. They said first wd-40 to get all the crap out and then go get graphite in a day or two and lube it up. The wd-40 has already made a big difference, so I will get the graphite next. Seems to me that wd-40 needs to dry up a bit before I use the graphite.

So after I was helped by a salesman no less, (expecting a mechanic), we chatted about tires, mud, speed, and tire pressure. We agreed on every point but tire pressure. He just didn’t do it because he had no pump with him and didn’t think it necessary as long as you held sufficient speed. To that point we will differ. If pressure wasn’t important in soft stuff, then why is it required on the beaches in 4wd trucks in the Nags Head area. It’s on the signs! I walked inside to start looking at bikes, no R1600GTL. What’s up with that? Maybe I wanted to ride one back home!! That would make the wife happy. I walked upstairs and started looking at gloves and found those KILM Gloves that I have been looking for. $110 bucks. Um, don’t need them right yet. Besides, if I buy a new R1600GTL, I’m selling the current bike. Don’t need both. Left the shop without spending a dime.

SAM_3604Next up was Stanley Park. Park, Saturday, I should have know that it was going to busy. It’s just a park. Well, apparently it is a major tourist attraction and it didn’t disappoint on that fact because peeps where every where. Tour buses, taxi’s, bicycles, and cars zooming every which way. It would have been better done if you were on a bicycle than by any type of motor vehicle. To park for 1 hour was $3 and they didn’t want you to stay long. Just the drive through Vancouver was very entertaining with all the shops, people, and buildings. Sorry no pictures showing this because I didn’t want to get run over. Second reason, my picture taker who normally sits behind me, is missing. Once inside the park, I took pictures of the Totem poles, paddle boat in the harbor as well as a seaplane taking off opposite direction the paddle boat. There is also a Chevron station in the middle of the damn Harbor. I couldn't figure out how to drive to it. Smile, that’s a joke. Then I ran into Marion and Shirley. Let’s see, one was from Australia and the other from Calgary. They were totally fascinated with the bike and my trip. We chatted for the better part of 30 minutes. They took some pictures of the bike, the bike and me to show the husbands when they got home. It was an very enjoyable chat and as I have said so far on my journey, this world is full some very nice people and some incredible people like the fellow I met that has been riding for 6 years now. 

SAM_3644My last stop of the day was the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It’s main purpose is to teach all us about the rain forest and what they do for us. The bridge itself was pretty cool and was the main attraction that brought them all in. Without that bridge, it made me wonder if people would actually come in for a lesson about the environment. Once you cross that bridge the tour really begins because they built more suspension bridges from tree to tree sometimes over 100 feet above the floor. Circle platforms were also built around the trees so you could transition from point to point. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would come during the week when all the little screaming kids were in school. I can see that this place would be a very relaxing place given less noise. Occasionally you would get far enough away from the crowds and it all changed in a manner of moments, chaos versus peace.

Before I give you the picture link I just want you to know that week 4 has been totally re-done. I spent the rest of my afternoon washing cloths and making reservations on Vancouver Island. If I’m going to ferry over, I want to make sure that I have I have a resting spot. So, June 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 have all been changed. You should know by now how to get to that information, but just in case someone new is following, www.cmarkdixon.com, put mouse over Alaska2013, then click the date you want to see.  It still gives me 2 free days for tires and or whatever. June 11th will officially put me back in the United States for the rest of my trip.

Pictures of the day

2 comments:

  1. I love Vancouver. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The out skirts of Vancouver are beautiful specially Highway 99 north. That to me was the highlight of views that I have seen so far in Bristish Columbia.

    ReplyDelete