Thursday, June 13, 2013

June 13th Ride Report– I take it you guys loved the Interview!

SAM_3846To say I laughed hard is an understatement when I saw the CTV Interview about Dixie and me. It just amazed me how the editing was so different than the interview itself, but it was a good thing. They made a story out of the entire thing bit by bit. What really caught me off guard is that Chandler actually made the drive out to same location that I lost Dixie. When he is standing by that sign in the last 10 – 15 seconds, that was the place. Whether we find Dixie or not, wasn’t that fun? Yes, finding Dixie would be awesome but the odds are great. Maybe I’ll just pick up a hitch hiker along the Pacific Coast Highway and bring her home with me. Now before Lori gets all upset, not a living girl, but another Dixie or something like Dixie. Well, if I see girl toy with their thumb out and they want to travel to the east coast, I’ll offer them a ride. Once again, Thanks CTV, Canada, and Chandler Grieve. Well done.

SAM_3763Today plan was to finish the route that I was suppose to run yesterday. Because I made the decision that Seattle and Tacoma was my best choice on getting things done on the BMW, I changed oil and tires while here and not out in the middle of nowhere. The timing was perfect. This morning it looked like the skies were going to bust loose with rain but it just never happened. It sprinkled and looked threatening, but nothing major. Wow, what a difference with that tire change on the bike. It handled like a new motorcycle on wet and dry pavement and the confidence in the corners sored! I tried my best to stay at or just above the posted speed limits all day, but at times, I was exceeding by 20mph. I told Lori once when I bought this bike that I would have a ticket in a month because of how smooth everything operated. Still haven’t gotten the ticket, but it would not surprise me if it happened. It just so quite, smooth, and sure footed in the corners that it screams, “give it more throttle.”

SAM_3779Climate! Today I felt like I needed and automatic climate control. This happens now and again on the road with a motorcycle but today I think I covered a bunch of  conditions. Temperature range today swung back and forth depending on elevation, clouds, and precipitation. Temps, 38-72 today! I would have overcast low hanging clouds, sprinkle, raining, and then 15 to 20 miles down the road, no clouds and sunshine 70. I would put heated gear on, take it off. I would then put heated gear back on and supplement my gloves with rain covers by Farkle. You would think that it would make for miserable riding for me and it does sound that way, but once dressed for the conditions, no problems. I was enjoying the different views brought on by the weather conditions.

The weather conditions had one adverse affect on my riding today. After climbing the tight wiggly road up to about 5500 elevation, it was so socked in, I could barely see 50 feet in front of my bike. That also meant seeing Mt. Rainier was out of the question. That’s ok, the snow on the side of the road, all the waterfalls, and the trees made it still worth the trip.

SAM_3841That was pretty much it for today and by the end of the day, I was back tracking to Port Angeles to setup for tomorrow’s run of Highway 101 west and due south. It’s going to be chilly in the morning, but who cares as long as the sun is out. Apparently tomorrow my entire route should be sunny and cool, high of 62. Isn’t it suppose to rain like everyday? Maybe someone is looking out for me and if so, Thank you.

Lastly, at the end of today’s route, it put me at an all time high reached for mileage in one trip. 10,566 miles to date and still have a bunch to lay down. How am I holding up physically and mentally. Doing very well if I say so myself. Remember, riding is what I love. So unless something goes wrong or breaks, life is good. Wish you all could have ridden along. I guess in a way, you have!  So I hope you’re having fun to.

Picture of the Day

3 comments:

  1. I've lost score: how many nights camping and how many nights in a hotel/motel ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an easy score 1 day camping and 28 hotels. I will get a few more camping days in there. What is hard is finding a place to charge all the crap I'm hauling. Next trip, bike will charge everything while driving.

    ReplyDelete