Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ride Report June 22–and that makes 52!

Screen Shot 2013-06-22 at 8.28.17 PMSome of you know exactly what that title means and the rest, clueless? June 22nd was my 52nd birthday and I’m proud of it because I made it to 52. I’ve done a lot of ding dong things in my life that would be reason enough for me not to be here, but I made it. I’ve had one hell of ride getting here and hope that the next 52 go as well. I must hang around long enough to be a pain in the butt for my kids.

Can you say, “Brrr?” It was a bit chilly last night sleeping in a tent in Island Park, Idaho. Yep, I did it but I had to take advantage of the sleeping bag design and zip my head inside. The silk liner I bought, as told to me by John Cassarly, and being zipped up like a cocoon, did the trick. I was warm. P6220161Problem? I had to come out of the cocoon eventually and it was cold. Second issue for me was that the campground had no shower facilities. Restrooms, yes, no showers. So, that meant roughing it all day the next day. By the time I reached my destination, I was ready for that shower and it was the first thing I did. Ah, that felt so good. Does that mean I’m a powder puff softy?? Hmm, to some, probably so, but that’s ok it was fun. The Campground itself was very very nice because they made special pads for the tents. Nice and level and easy to drive to stakes into the ground.

When I got back to the tent last night I finalized my route decision for today. I was thinking on traveling to Craters of the Moon park, but I decided that the route I laid out for the day after was to long. So I divided that route in two parts and ran part one today. As I was taking down the tent this morning, the skies started to sprinkle on me. So I stepped up my takedown speed so everything would not get wet. Second issue, when I started the bike, my information screen was flashing a OIL warning light. Really? Turned her off, put her up on the centerstand and the oil level was spot on. Come on, so what does that mean? I decided to drive out to the first store I knew of and check again. Oil warning is still P6220169there. I centerstand it, check, spot on. Hmm, then it hit me. I hit the information button on my controls and it stopped. It was telling me I needed a damn oil change. Grrr, I miss read the screen and thought the worst! I change my oil when I want to, so be quite computer!!!!

The rain slant sprinkles lasted all of about 5 miles and I was out of it. The first stop was recommended to me by Doug Meikle and that was Mesa Upper Falls. Wow! That was awesome. No one but me was there, so I could setup and take pictures as I wanted. The mist bellowing out from the falls and the sunlight created a rainbow. I actually was able to capture in pictures that rainbow before the sun slid behind more clouds. Thanks Doug! First comedy of the day was the ranger who locked herself out of her own welcome building at the falls. I offered her my phone, but it had no service. Then I showed her the clasp my wife bought me, so I could keep up with my keys and said, maybe an investment in one of these might help in the future. Not sure that impressed her much. I waved and said, “Have a great day.”

P6220213Now my track was to lead me to the Grand Tetons. I was coming into the Tetons from the west and from my point of view, it looked like rain. I never hit a drop. The ride through the Tetons were pretty and I guess everyone in the lower 48 think they are the prettiest but I’m going to say, I disagree. They were a small version of Alaska and a lot of British Columbia. The Tetons are pretty but to me, Jackson and all the surrounding beauty is just ok. I will say that the price for everything is high just like Alaska, so maybe they are similar.

I stopped at Bubba’s Barbeque in Jackson and as I was sitting down a gentleman close by wanted to know what I riding. I told him and his wife, I assume, that I was riding a BMW R1200GSA. He then went on to tell me he own a Harley dealership in New Jersey, sorry can’t remember where in Jersey, and he owned several Harley’s but for this trip, he bought a more comfortable Honda Goldwing. I was a little surprised by that fact, but then he went into the pro’s and con’s of both and he had some really good points. I will not bore you with all the details, but he wanted the engine and electronics of the Honda built onto the look and more user friendly bags of the Harley’s. I have no Harley experience, so I’m going to take his word for it. They were on their way to Alaska and wanted to know my track and experiences as I wanted to know their planned route. The only thing that I thought they would miss was the ride south through British Columbia, specially down Highway 99.

P6220219Now I’m a pretty lite speaker and sometimes people have a hard time hearing me. Now add this to the fact that he was hard of hearing and we had a small comedy show. His wife, did an outstanding translating for me. It was actually fun! I’m serious, it was fun. The interaction between those two was good and she told me once to scream at him, but I was enjoying watching her and him. The packing story was the highlight and reminded me of the first long trip Lori and I took. At the advice from a friend, I marched Lori behind the motorcycle and proceed to point at all three bags and say, “This bag is for my stuff, this bag is for your stuff, and this bag is for riding gear.” Then I watched her face wrinkle up when she looked at that tiny bag. They say, it’s the small things in life that make it. So true! I chit chatted with this couple from New Jersey for at least an hour and then wished them safe travels. So to Sam and Catherine, have a fun and great adventure.

So all that was left was for me to travel on down the road to Pinedale, WY. It didn’t take long for all the nice green trees to turn into a more arid looking terrain. The terrain was also more flat. Riding, it felt like a short day but it still took me every bit of 8 hours to cover. Pinedale just kin of popped up out of nowhere as I was riding in. I was looking at the GPS and looking at the terrain, and it just wasn’t there and then, it just popped into view. So what do people do here for a living? I asked. They most run cattle or work in the oil business. I didn’t see anything reference oil driving in, so I questioned that. Seems that the oil businesses all lay south of town. Ok, I will see them tomorrow leaving town. The last thing or order of business, I got a haircut. I was looking pretty shaggy, even though I’m mostly bald. I got a number 1, so now I really look eagle with no wings!!!

Just a mileage update, 13,450 miles to date. Someone asked me again if my ass was sore yet. Nope, broke in. Smile

Pictures of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment