Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ride Report June 26

P6260003The alarm went off at 5:30 and for the first time since I can remember, the alarm clock actually woke me up first. So I jumped up, got ready, loaded the bike, and I drove off into the Denver morning rush hour. OMG! It wasn’t stand still traffic but it was very busy. On top of that, the sun was blaring right in the face. Well duh! You are heading home and home is East!

It didn’t take long and Denver was in my mirror and the flats of Colorado surrounded me. Also what was most apparent was the fact the temperatures were climbing fast. I mean by 9am it was 87 and climbing. I rode most of the day between 99-101. The actual high, according to my bike, was 104. I only had to deal with that for about an hour and things started backing off. When I rolled into Topeka, Kansas, it was 99-100. Yes, that actually felt cooler. There comes a point on a motorcycle ride when you actually have to close your visor because it feels like your face is cooking. My BMW has a very nice windshield so I didn’t bake beyond well done. I felt extra crispy, but I was only well done.

P6260038So how did I feel after riding from 11am to 4:30pm, and I lost an hour in there for the time change, in temperature that stayed between 99-101. If wasn’t fun and on top of that, there is nothing to see on I-70. Flat as a pancake. I only stopped twice the entire day, once for lunch and gas. The second time for a strawberry milkshake, water, and gas. I laid down about 550 miles and I feel pretty good. I got a shower and went out for dinner and even brought back a Strawberry Shortcake for a snack later. Did I mention it also had ice cream.

Tomorrow ride length will be almost and exact duplicate of today at around 550 miles or a bit more. Weather along my route of flight tomorrow should, keyword “should”, not get any higher than 94. That should be good. I know there will be lot’s of disbeliever’s out there but my Klim suit in the heat did exactly what it was suppose to do and that was keep me hydrated. Yes, I made myself drink water every 25 miles while riding, but I only went through one bottle the entire day. That bottle holds a quart of water.

So tomorrow I Topeka, Kansas and will end my day in Corydon, Indiana. I will also be back on Eastern Standard time when I arrive in Corydon.

Pictures of the Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment