Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16th Ride Report: I packed to much in this day, but wow

P6160005This is and was the last southern route that I will be taking on the Pacific Coast highway. I had no idea what to expect other than trees. This morning got off a little slow because I had to find replace that digital camera that has finally in my opinion, became worthless. Something is wrong with the lens and it’s just not worth taking shots if they are going to look like yesterdays bunch. To many erroneous dots in the frame. Not the exact camera I wanted, but it will fill the bill for motorcycling.

Ok with the camera situation solved, I took off south and it was a bit chilly at 56 degrees. No rain though, so life is good. The first little chant off of 101 dropped me into the Redwood State Park and the trees are big, but not quite as big as I remember. Apparently, the big stuff comes tomorrow. It also didn’t take long before I found myself off-road in the dirt again easing down the coast until the road ended. Don’t know how I did that, but the road ended and I had to make a little re-route on the fly. When Garmin works, Garmin is cool. Eventually I popped back onto 101.

The further south I went the warmer and clearer the skies became. Now for a little creepy story. I rolled into Eureka and I needed a cup of coffee and change my gear up a bit. It seemed like every 20 to 30 feet someone was begging for something. I do feel for these people, but I can’t help 40 or 50 people all at once. I’m marking Eureka as a place I do not want to visit. Leaving Eureka, I turned off 101 again and I went through a little town named Ferndale. Once in Ferndale, I took off on a little road and once I was on it I started thinking, “How the hell did I pick this road.” It was tight for 2 cars to pass each other and the repair work that was done is, just throw some crap in the hole and pack it down. Yes, she was a little rough. Then it hit me, Road Runner Magazine. I downloaded the California route and blended it with my other route.

P6160041Ok then, let’s travel on down the road and see what we see since I have the right bike for this little adventure. Up and down, left and right, and tiptoeing around those blind corners. Why? I have a lot of dirt road riding experience in Virginia and let me tell you, people in cars and trucks on dirt roads drive insane sometimes. They really do not care what side of the road they are on, so if you can’t see through the corner, you hug it and tip toe until you can see. Let’s just say that paid off twice today. Some of the views that started being feed to me were absolutely incredible. On mountain tops, looking across open fields with clouds hanging just above my head and blue skies in the distance. Then roads falling off the hills into the ocean or they appeared to, from my point of view. This little wonder of a road lasted for hours and hours. On one occasion, it turned into dirt, uphill 15% grade with four 180 degree switch backs. Sorry for my language, but I was like Damn! Apparently through some of this my Spot Tracker stopped working and I got a single txt somehow in the middle of nowhere from the wife. Hey, is the spot tracker on? Is she checking up on me? Don’t tell her, but I gave the spot tracker away weeks ago. I’m really in South America running the Dakar! Yea right! Ok back to reality.

Lunch? So it seemed with all the fun I was having, I forgot to think about lunch until I started feeling a little bit hungry. Stopped in the middle of nowhere and did a food search and there was nothing within an hour. So, I reached into my plan B bag and had peanuts and water for lunch! Yummy! I made up for it at dinner.

P6160078Eventually the thrill ride was over and it was back to the sane world of boring roads with cars and RV’s. I continued south on 101 until I reached the Joshua Tree so I could drive through the tree that is a tourist requirement. Ok, it was neat and it’s been there forever, check! This is also where I got a little faith restored. Think about this just for a moment. Ever since I re-entered the Untied States, have I spoken about meeting any nice, different, or interesting people other then the town of Eureka? I was really beginning to believe what I thought was true, an that is we live in a country of snobs and me me’s. Two young men, I estimate 22-23 and likely in college, saw my bike and the note with all the signatures on the tankbag from my workmates. They hung around until I return to the bike and started a conversation with me. They are on a 2 month road trip from California through Canada and eventually turning south until they end up in Florida. They are traveling by car. We chatted a lot about motorcycles, because they both ride Sportbikes, but eventually the conversation turned to what to see in Virginia. After I was done, one of them said to the other, “looks like we are going to have to extend our trip.” We chatted for about 45 minutes and then I had to break it off.

I packed way to much into today’s must see and though I accomplished a lot, I missed out on one Redwood Park, Humboldt. That’s ok, I enjoyed the day. One more thing about weather. When I left the Joshua Tree it was 85 degrees and the skies were clear. By the time I reached Crescent City 2.5 hours later, the temperatures dropped 20 degrees. Brrrrr.

Is anyone curious about mileage to date? 11,685 miles in 30 days including non-travel days. That’s about 390 miles a day.

My new camera did an awesome job. The Lighthouse shots were all taken in Crescent City. Tomorrow it begins! I start my official turn back to Virginia. The next 11 to 12 days, there will be a steady march back to the East.

Pictures of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment