Monday, June 10, 2013

June 10th, For the motorcyclist in me, it was awesome! But!

SAM_3681I knew going into today that it was going to be an easy day for me mileage wise. I also added this route and the extra day on the island based on information from a local in Vancouver that is a rider. He said if I did anything at all on the island, the run from Campbell River to Gold River was a must. So the route that I deleted because I didn’t have enough of a reason before to ride it, was put back into my itinerary.

The first 65 miles or so of the morning ride was ridden on what I would call and Interstate system but unlike that of the United States, these roads have an occasional Stop light or a side road that is allowed to enter. Fairly strange in my opinion, but it works here. Another thing that is useful but strange is the warning system they use to indicate that a stop light is going to turn red soon. It flashes 2 yellows lights on a sign high overhead traffic some 100 yards from the intersection. This is just on the faster highway speed sections of their roads, not in the cities for the most part. There are exceptions. A picture of it is in the pictures of the day. When I got the Campbell River I turned west on 28 on what was to be the highlight of the day.

The roads were for the most part clear of traffic and those that I did encountered moved over and waved me around. Some would see me coming and before I even got within 100 yards, would start signaling me by. This happens in the States sometimes but the closer you get to the East Coast and the larger cities, your more likely to get the finger than a wave around. Big cities, you can have them. The sweepers on this road were sometimes long and fast meaning you could carry as much speed as your gut allowed. I’m either losing my edge because of my age or these dirt bike tires on the hard surface give me no confidence. Do not get me wrong, they are not terrible but if I have to think about the fact, are they going to stick, then they are no good to me. Plus I’m tired of hearing the whining 4X4 sound humming in my ears while I drive. Please, please give me street tires! When I get off the bike sometimes and I think I hear the ringing from my tires still in my head.

SAM_3686First stop of the day was likely the prettiest of the day and also where a great tragedy might have taken place. It looked like a favorite spot for the locals to pull off and tent over night or just gather by a fire on the side of the road. The view across the lake was incredible. So what’s the tragedy? Dixie!!! Dixie is missing!! Oh no!! I took a few shots of her swimming in the lake and then posing on the bike. This was the last time I saw her. One of a few things happened. I either left her on that last posed shot and when I pulled off, she fell off into the dirt. Second possible thing is she fell out of my pocket while playing in the corners. I believe the first thing happened, so when I discovered she was missing to take more shots at another lake, I started the search and rescue. I went through my jacket and top case several times and nothing. So I knew I had to go back by the same stop where I think I lost her. When I arrived at the scene of the crime, there was no Dixie, but there were fresh tire tracks in the area. The exact point where I parked the bike had what looked like Jeep tire tracks and I think someone saw her and kidnapped Dixie. So with sadness, Today’s pictures will be the last pictures of Dixie and I will be officially riding solo the rest of the trip. So much for our new tradition. I just hope a kid found her and will take of Dixie.

SAM_3694Once I excited highway 28 on the return track, it was lunch time. After lunch all that was left was to run highway 19 to Port McNeil. That run was pretty much uneventful with the exception of the weather. It was like I went through different tropical zones, like one would go through time zones. One minute it was 70 degrees and partly sunny, then 15 miles later overcast, 52 and raining. Then like magic, it was sunny and 65 degrees again. The mountains and the ocean mixed so close together must be a fun climate to live in fulltime.

So here I sit in Port McNeil and it is suppose to be a great place to see Killer Whales. I saw one but it was on a sign and that is as likely as close I get to seeing one those on this trip. I tried to find out the best time of year from one of the locals but the best answer I got is when the Salmon run. What time of year does that happens? I assume in the spring, but who knows. I guess it is something to research.

Okie Dokie, this is pretty much going to do it for the Canada adventure for this trip. I will say that all of British Columbia is worth seeing. It is very diverse from the northern boundary to the southern boundary. You could spend two weeks exploring this one Provence because my little adventure just barley scratched the surface. Tomorrow I run back across the island, sprinting to make a 3pm ferry that I reserved. The email said to be there 1:30 hours early because it is a border crossing. Ok, it’s a 5 hour drive direct with no traffic issues, so I will be rolling sometime between 6:30 –7am. Worst case, I will have some extra time to walk around an explore.

The rest of my evening here, I will spend trying to find places to change oil and tires. I’m in the window for tires to reach home, so I ‘m ready to switch. I want them before I start to track down the pacific coast highway.

Pictures of the Day

5 comments:

  1. I assume you filled out a missing person's report, eh ?
    Each year, thousands of inanimate, non-action figures like Dixie, are abducted from highway rest stops. Sadly, most are melted down, and turned into.....motorcycle tires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really happened, is revealed in Bob Seger's song, Roll Me Away:

    Somewhere along a high road,
    The air began to turn cold
    She said she missed her home,
    I headed on alone,
    Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trent, I put out an APB on Campbell River facebook page, with links to Mark's blog. You never know, someone just might post a ransom. It's just sad that Dixie won't complete this trip and get back home with her kids. But, then again, I guess she might have gotten sick of being with Mark all these days and decided to swim across the lake to escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to think that Dixie met someone tall, dark, and handsome (sorry Mark) and decided to run off with him :) They grow up so fast...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Dixie. Maybe she did run off with a better looking and younger guy. Maybe I'll pickup a hitch hiker !! :)

    ReplyDelete