Sunday, June 23, 2013

Ride Report June 23 - Wild swings

P6230007This morning in Pinedale the 7am temperature was 37. Brrr. By the time I got moving and heading south it quickly rose to 50 and by noon’ish, 85. That’s a big temperature swing and when I came rolling into Vernal, Utah, I had all flaps open for cooling. The other thing was altitude. I rode up and down different elevations all day long and they swung between 6300 – 8500 feet. Today was a reality shock for me because I would have to say the mean temperature so far this trip is 55-60. Pretty damn comfortable and it is very east to adjust to, with layers and a heated suit. The ride from Denver to Stephens City is really going to be fun in the heat. I have been looking at the forecast and one of the days is forecasting 100.

Now before I left Pinedale, I managed to have fun with one of the other overnight residents of the Hampton Inn. The man was standing in the elevator and he saw me coming so he held the door for me, so I thought. I reached over and pressed 2 and asked him which floor and he kind of mutter something while looking out the opening but then clearly said, “Wait a sec, hold the door, here she comes.” So his wife jumped into the elevator. Then he reached over and pressed 3. I looked at her and then I said, “He told me to close the door quickly, so you did good making it onboard.” P6230159She started laughing, I started laughing, and he laughed and said, “Thanks for having my back.” Mission Accomplished, I made them not only smile but laugh. A bonus.

Look at that first picture in the first paragraph. Is that sky blue or what? The ride today was almost picture perfect. Yea, it got a little warm but I knew that was coming. I didn’t have much planned today for things to see and do, so I was pleasantly surprised to run into the Flaming Gorge National Park. The Gorge was formed by the Green River and then the man made Dam as part of the Reclamation Act. They Park had signs everywhere to watch your kids and do not let them run off unattended. They also wanted you to stay on the path and behind fences. They had good reason. It was very easy to find places that you could walk right out to the edge and you were staring at a 1300 to 1700 foot drop. Let’s just say this old boy stepped out toward one ledge to get a shot, but I stayed back 10 feet or more. Something’s you just never get over.

P6230190

Mark’s new hobby. I have been trying to catch the motorcycle wave! It is much harder than it looks. Anyways, the shot of the day goes to this guy. He is the only one I got in frame and wave at the same time. I would have to say most of my shots got nothing but sky!

One thing about these long trips that bug me is tires, specifically the rear. It is normally a 2 to 1 ratio. You go through 2 rear tires for ever front tire. I should be able to get 7500 – 8000 out of the back tire, so I sat down today and did the math and I will be able to make it home without having to buy a new rear tire. Even though it looks good today, with 3500 miles on it, I know I will put down another 2200 before I reach home. I should be good unless I catch a nail or something. 5 more legs or days and I will be back in Virginia. Damn that went fast!

Ok let me give you a little briefing about me blogging from this point to home. Tomorrow I will first thing hit Dinosaur National Monument to see me some bones! Then I will sprint via mostly scenic roads to Denver. There I will meet an old friend that I grew up with in the old neighborhood but she moved to Florida when we were 12, 13, or 14. She has a much better memory than I on the time. She wants to show me the hood and then the next day, we meet up with her boss (also a BMW R1200 rider), and ride up to Mt. Evans. In case you do not know, the highest hard surface road in the United States, 14,265. Then we will ride Rocky National Park. The following day begins my sprint to Virginia, so I may or may not have time to blog. I will give it a shot, but don’t hold your breath. So to Todd and John, my brothers, I will taking Debbie Dwyer now Debbie Fanatia for a motorcycle ride to top of Mt. Evans and I’m scared of heights. Hehe, just the thought makes me smile. Should I tell her? Hell I’ve done it twice, so it should be easy. Last time was on a bigger bike pulling a trailer, so this time should be a breeze. She is a pretty good photography so I’m hoping that just maybe, she’ll get some really nice shots to show you guys. All I can say, she is a brave woman riding with me. Her and her husband, Tom are also moving to Homer Alaska to become the states newest resident. At least now I have a reason to fly to Alaska, to visit a friend. See you tomorrow Debbie.

Picture of the day

1 comment:

  1. Camped up in Rocky Mountain Nat Forest back in the 90's - great time, and beautiful scenery. Stop and take it all in.

    ReplyDelete