Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 7 and first leg of A1A was good.

I had heard from a few people at work that I would not enjoy A1A and then a few others said it was a must do. I will say that I rather enjoyed cruising A1A today through all the different sights and sounds. In the beginning near Amelia Island I felt like I was in Nags Head. Later on down the road it was nothing plants, sand, and water which made you feel like you were riding on Ocracoke Island. Then you hit the larger cities and then Myrtle Beach came to mind. It was not all straight and boring roads with nothing to see, because there was always something to see.

In Porte Verda, FL we accidentally ran into a PGA Golf Tournament being held at Sawgrass Resort. Once we got through that traffic caused by everyone buying tickets from roadside scalpers and rushing to get into the event, all was good. There was never so much traffic to get on my nerves. The other thing that was noticeable was that if you got more than a half mile from the water, the air temperature went up 5 to 10 degrees. So riding along the ocean was nice.

The pictures we took today showed the Ferry we rode for all of 5 minutes to get from one part of A1A to the other. Also in St.Augustine when we pulled into town, there was a merry go round right in the middle of nowhere. Then there was horse drawn carriage that caught Lori's eye. There were a couple of boats docked near the draw bridge that caught us and I have no idea how old they were or what their names were. Maybe a little Google might fix that. Lori also snapped a few shots of the beaches we were riding by. So far, neither one of us has even stuck are toes in the water. Been to busy riding from point to point.

I managed to get some video today and I tried to different mounting locations. I have already shown in other post below the view from Lori's helmet, but today I shot from the nose of the motorcycle and I also shot from the side of the trailer. By far my favorite angle is the trailer because you can see the Motorcycle and it's passenger. So below you will find a youtube upload from the trailer. If I have time, I will try and put the other angle up.

Once we reached Vero Beach, FL the Princess was all yukky from the last hour or so of riding, so she took a bird bath and then we made off to dinner. She didn't ride the motorcycle anywhere, imagine that, so wee just walked to Cracker Barrel. After dinner the two of us walked over to the Outlet Mall and I let her loose like you would a child in a candy shop. She was re-energized like the bunny hopping from one store to the next. She bought a couple of tops then we finally came back to the motel so I could work on the blog.

Tomorrow we do the second leg of A1A which should be another 250 miles or so and end up in Key Largo. Tomorrows forecast is for Clear skies and highs between 88 and 90 from here to Key Largo. Looks like another good day for riding. The old Honda is really in need for a serious bath, but it might just have to wait until we get home.

Today’s mileage =  248
Total for the trip = 1944






Day 8 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

1 comment: