Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 5 and Last Day in Gainesville

Another beautiful day of weather here in Gainesville with the sun shinning bright with only a few clouds. Today's loop was more to the Northwest of Gainesville and the roads were long and straight. We ended up in a very small fishing community named Steinhatchee. Let's see you pronounce that one. Took a real nice shot of the Bike and the water at this location. Since it was to early for lunch, we return to riding.

After more long straight and somewhat abandon back roads, we ended up in a little town named Mayo. We stopped at a little restaurant named Two Sisters BBQ and when I ordered some pork, the waitress said, "sorry we are out of pork". Ok, then let me have a Philly sub, then, coming right up. I had to giggle. How does a BBQ restaurant run out of BBQ at 12:15pm. Anyways, the sub was good and Lori had something new that neither one of us had ever heard of, Corn Nuggets. Kernels of corn wrap in dough then fried. They were good and interesting at the same time. After lunch we road back to Gainesville in the heat of the afternoon which reached 91 degrees. I swear it felt more like 100 in town, but better than rain.

If you're ever on the road and your looking for a restaurant guide to help you out, I would suggest Tripadvisor. I used it  yesterday and today and it was right on both times. For dinner I wanted Pizza and Lori had no preference, so we ended up at local place named, Satchels Pizza. What a unique place. I mean pizza is pizza, but for some reason theirs was actually above average. The decor of the place was a throw back to the 60's hippie generation and they even had a Volkswagen Van out front that was used as seating for the restaurant. There was seating inside and out. When ordering pizza, you had 20 to 25 toppings that you could choose from and it was just so good. Lori and I finish a medium size pizza and that never happens.

Tomorrow we leave Gainesville and do an upside down s-pattern route toward Fernandino Beach. This will put us close to the beginning of A1A for our eventual turn south toward Key West. We will be meeting the Crane's at their new home and going out to dinner. Martin use to work at ZDC and transferred to JAX after he got tired of losing to me in Racquetball. I will never hear the end of that comment, but it is my blog and my rules, unless Lori tells me to edit something out. :) Looking forward to seeing the Crane's again because they are good people.

Today’s mileage =  220
Total for the trip = 1390





Day 6 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

No comments:

Post a Comment