Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 18 Transition complete,we are in Helen, Ga.

As expected this morning in Tallahassee it was cool, drizzly, and overcast. I fired up the weather channel as Lori was getting prepared for the days ride and it didn't look all that bad, but bad enough to start thinking about a different route. I knew we were an hour or more from leaving, so I would decide about a route when it was time to leave. Decision was to go as originally planned because all the green goo on the weather channel was clear of my route. Ha Ha Ha!! Not even close.

The first 20 miles or so as we crossed into Georgia wasn't that bad with light drizzle, mostly dry roads, 50 degrees, and overcast skies. We had both put on our Cold Weather jackets, liner, and heated overpants but I did not plug them into power. I was soon pulling over to change gloves to winter gloves. Then a few miles later, pulling over again to put on the rain gear, ugh! It drizzled and then hard rain and then back to drizzle until 20 miles south of Albany Ga. and then it broke. Finally, broken skies, no rain, but some very gusty cross winds.

The rest of the ride was cool and dry with the high temperature, even through Atlanta Ga., just short of 70 degrees  I'm also glad that we did not hit Atlanta at 4pm or later because that would have been 5 lanes of grid lock that would have been very annoying. It was bad enough at 2:30 when we arrived in Atlanta and it rivaled anything that DC has to offer.

As we past Lake Lanier, we got our first glimpse of the mountains in the distance and what a welcome sight that was to my eyes. I said to Lori, "doesn't that look great"? "Hello" Damn, sleeping again. How does anyone sleep on a motorcyle? It is beyond my comprehension. Anyways, as we slid off the Interstate and onto are first set of twisties I heard my bike go Ahhhhh! Would you believe that I actually have a flat spot wearing on my front tire that is about 1 inch wide? This is a first for me and something I have never seen on any of my motorcycles. What does this say about Florida and her roads???

Tomorrows forecast? Clear with a over night low of 37 degrees, brrr, with a high of 72. What a change!!! Instead of me telling you what we will be doing tomorrow, I will post the route as usual below, but I will also provide a link you can click to read. It was written by a motorcycle rider who works for Road Runner Magazine. The best magazine ever put together for motorcycle enthusiast.

Helen Ga. Ride 1


Today’s mileage =  353  <---Longest leg to date.
Total for the trip = 4369

No Picture today, but tomorrow back to business. :)

Day 19 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

No comments:

Post a Comment