Friday, May 29, 2009

Cleaning and Maintenance

Well today the sun finally showed it face and it was now time to get the motorcycle and trailer cleaned up. First the trailer and this was quick and pretty painless because it is basically just a square box. Took the vinyl cover off and cleaned under it that and also gave the outside and inside of the cover a bath. I laid that out in the yard to dry and then moved the trailer in the grass to drip dry also.

Next came the Valkyrie and I was glad that I had given her a bath once on the road because most of the North Carolina and Virginia bugs had come off with the rain. Took me a good 45 minutes to an hour to wash and dry the bike because of all the chrome. Taking a good look at the paint after washing, I think I will have to give her a waxing very soon. So now with the trailer and bike clean, it is now time to turn to some needed maintenance.

The day before I went to the Honda shop and ordered a new front tire, which by the way I now know for sure that the front tire has 15823 miles on it, and I also bought engine oil, filter, and drive shaft oil. First up, warm up the engine and then change the oil. With that done, I turned my attention to the Drive shaft and got her done. Now I have to change the fluid in the lines for the Clutch, Front Brake, and Rear brake. I got the clutch fluid done and it was really bad. The color was so bad I couldn't see anything in the sight glass and there was stuff floating in the fluid. I ran out of Dot 4 fluid, so in the morning I will be off to the Honda shop to pick up 1 more quart of engine oil and more Dot 4. The Valk should be road ready again once I get these last items done and the front tire installed. The last 2 items that need to be done are modifications. I purchased some risers for the handle bars because on the Interstate rides, my neck was really starting to bother me. So I think pushing the bars back toward me will help with that angle. Also need to rewire the GPS to a different power source. Old dummy here wired it into the left blinker and every time I use the left blinker, the GPS thinks I'm cutting the power off. Duh!

Got to get the Valkyrie back to road ready quickly because Lori and I want to travel to Newport News to see the family soon over one of the upcoming weekends. I also would like to pull the trailer to a campground and do a little tent camping. Not sure if I will be able to get Princess to go along for the later trip. She doesn't do bugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment