Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 1 in the Books

When we were doing the final packing of the trailer this morning it really looked gloomy outside. So much so, that I told Lori that we better put on the rain gear. Didn't look like the start of this vacation was going to the be all that great. Well it turned out ok. We did hit a little drizzle through Fredericksburg, but once on Interstate 95 it started to warm up and there was actually breaks in the clouds. We still had a few sprinkles here and there, but no steady or drenching rain. Sweet!

Our first break of the day came in Hopewell Va. where we stopped for fuel for the bike and fuel for the humans. Nothing fancy for lunch, just a sub for her and sandwich for me. I was saving special for dinner. After lunch we drove over to Petersburg National Battlefield where the 9 month standoff took place and was the last gasp for the Southern forces. It was also the place where the famous Crater battle took place. I will provide you with the only pictures we took all day below, but there is not that many. It always amazes me how the men lived and fought in the conditions they did. It also amazes me at their ingenuity in finding the high ground, weapons, and survival. I told Lori, I'm going to have to layout a complete trip to this battlefield via GPS routes and comeback and do it right. To much to see on a short visit.

I stopped twice today for fuel and I found out something remarkable, I need to slow down. My bike normally gets between 36 and 39 mpg without trailer. I knew it was going to bad pulling the new bigger trailer, but I didn't expect what I got. First tank at 31.2 and the second tank at 25.8. Ouch!! The speed limit in NC is 70mph on the Interstate and I was clipping along at 75 sometimes 80 when I wasn't watching my speed, oops! Guess who did notice? Oh, no, not the cops, but the wife. Oops again!

Dinner!! Well we stopped at Wilber's BBQ in Goldsboro NC and had their Pulled Pork vinegar based. Wow, moist and not to spicy, just right. I asked the Waitress if they served it for Breakfast and I got a laugh, but the answer was no. Oh well, it was  awesome and it might be the excuse I need to comeback this way to visit the Morris's who we will not get to see on this leg of the trip. Bummer! After dinner, we got our things together and headed for the hotel for the night. The weather here is perfect, 70 degrees, clear skies.

One last thing to note, my new GPS - Phone - Headsets, not working so well all of a sudden. The Phone is not functioning with the GPS, but all else is good. Will work on it tonight after Blogging. Tomorrow we will be heading for the Battleship in Wilmington NC, USS North Carolina, and from there Charleston, SC.. See map below.

Today's mileage = 339
Total for the trip = 339








Day 2 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

2 comments:

  1. Yep, my bike is the same way. I normally get around 40 mpg. Both towing trailer and running high speed will lower it. Do both and OUCH. My advise... quit calculating it and you won't have to worry about it any more. Just ride and stop acting like you can't afford a little gas.. ;) It is what it is.

    Just ribbing ya of course. Enjoy and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when I read this cause I can see you now, head cocked to the side with that smartass look on your face, and just laying it out there. I had to read this out loud to Lori it hit me so funny. I slowed down a bit today and still spit out 26.5 and 29.58. Maybe if make Lori push it'll do better!

    ReplyDelete