Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 19 All good things come to those that wait.

Ahh, it felt good to lean left then right and do it over and over again. To say that I do not miss the flat straight roads of Florida is an understatement. It was brisk this morning when we finally got outside to ready for the days ride. I believe that it was between 48 and 52 degrees when we stepped outside. I spent a good 15 minutes in prepping the bike and trailer for the ride. The bike was covered with the morning dew and the tire pressure in all tires was down, so I pumped up all the tires via my portable pump and wiped the bike dry. All that was left was to suit up and fuel up.

We didn't get 2 miles out of town and I made my first stop for some strange looking mound of dirt with a steeple on top. I read the marker, which I took a picture of, and moved another 2 or 3 miles down the road to the smallest covered bridge in Georgia, 34 feet. Took a picture of that marker also and you can read both in the picture section.

Let me first cover the only disappointment of the day. I took three videos with my camera and only one turned out. I managed to get almost 5 minutes of good riding off of the chip. I will post it as soon as Youtube allows.

Now for good stuff. The roads that Road Runner Magazine was right on the mark and I didn't make one wrong turn or U-turn for the entire ride. I made a couple of U-turns because of stuff I wanted to see, but that was it. Just past the second stop, I got my first taste of the twisty'es and I only shot half of what will show on the video. The second and longest set of twisty'es was east of Clayton and ran into North Carolina to Highland. Wow and I'm rusty. I felt a little slow entering most corners and going downhill into any corner was a little un-nerving at times hauling that extra weight behind me. There were lots of bikes on the roads today also.

After we returned to Helen from our ride, we ditched the gear and started to walk the town. The entire length of the town is maybe 2 or 3 miles, so walking was good. The temperatures by this time had reached 72 and the skies were still crystal clear. The building and atmosphere of Helen is German. My only complaint is not everything was open because the summer season is not quite here. Lori managed to find a few trinkets to buy and then it was dinner time. Dinner tonight in a German based town, drum roll, Mexican. We both love Mexican and it was good, so to each his own.

Tomorrow weather should be a duplicate of today, which is great, because the forecast for the remainder of the week is not looking all that great. We will head on a more north to northeast route out of Helen and then back and I will get a second opportunity to record at least part of the road between Clayton and Highland. Let's just hope doh doh bird remembers to press the go button this time. You can click the link below to read a write up on tomorrow's ride from RR Magazine.

Helen Ga. Ride 2

Today’s mileage =  172
Total for the trip = 4541





Day 20 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

No comments:

Post a Comment