Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 20 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Some title huh? A quick explanation, and then I will give you the rest of the story. Good, great roads and weather, Bad, trucks and cars, Ugly, road rage and on a motorcycle so you're defenseless.

Ok, the skies were clear and blue and temperatures were cool, but not as cool as yesterday. Lori put on the heated gear without power and I put on cold jacket with liner and no pants. Oh my! No heated pants, silly. The first road out of town was a thrill ride but not until I got out from behind a UPS truck pulling a trailer who would not let us by. There are signs on the road that say slower traffic use pull outs for faster traffic. This bozo passed three before I got angry. I let loose of the horn, but it didn't faze him, probably just made him laugh. Spent 7 minutes behind him until the road opened to a dual lane and I pulled up beside him, gave him the thumbs up, he cracked a smile, and I moved on. It is to pretty of a day to let that bother me.

After the thrill ride, though brief, we pulled into the town of Hiawassee which had a lake running throughout it. Very nice and I made one u-turn here to take a few shots, check the photo link. Lori and I discussed coming back here for supper, which we did later in the day. Next was about a 50 mile ride from Hiawassee to Sylvia on Hwy 64 which not that thrilling but it sure was a pretty ride. In the town on Sylvia we took a picture of a big white building on a hill that very old. Sorry we did not get the history on it, but I'm sure you could Google it.

Leaving Sylvia we pickup Route 107 and a Little Old lady. Oh my goodness, once again after the third pullout and sign saying move over, I blast the horn. If you do not remember, I put a new horn on the bike and just looking for an excuse to make you go we-we, this time she did a little wiggle in the lane. I had to laugh and when I went around her, she wouldn't even look over. If I had known she was 80, I might not have scared her. Okay, I would have. Clear of traffic, 107 was a really tight swing fest that made me back off more than normal because there was no room for error. At the end of 107, we stopped for lunch at the Old Smokehouse for some Barbecue in Cashiers.

After lunch we left Cashiers and followed more trucks until we turned off onto Hwy 106. This was another little thrill ride downhill and I wish the camera was working because this is where I got Lori to suck in a little bit. We went through a couple of blind switch backs and on the last one the pegs were dragging in the asphalt and bam there is a truck coming opposite direction tight on his line and with me already scraping pegs right. She knew there was no more right left. It really wasn't that close, but it was to her. Later during this same stretch and behind another pickup truck, I heard her say, "Don't zing him on the double yellow". Sorry patience running thin at this point, give me 300 yards and he's mine. Zing, no more truck.

So, what do you say or do to a wife who just said something you do not care for? I do not remember what she said, but I do  remember what i did. Click it!!!



Ok that was fun, so let's move on.

The ride ended after a final blast around Lake Burton and other than a few knuckle heads, the ride was great. Can I vote for a no cage day at least once a year?

Once back at the hotel we rested and re-grouped for about 30 minutes and then headed off Anna Ruby Falls just outside Helen about 8 miles. We drove as far as possible then walked the last .4 mile to the falls. It is made up of two different streams that fall separately and mix at the bottom. The largest drop is 153 feet. It was worth the trip and there are photos in the link for the day. You can also click the name of the falls above and it will take you to the wiki. After the falls, we drove back to Hiawassee for dinner just so I could re-film the road and look at everything again. It was worth the trip.

Tomorrow we will head west for the first time roll through some more pretty Georgia countryside. You can click below for a RR Magazine description.

Helen Ga. Ride 3

Today’s mileage =  229
Total for the trip = 4770






Day 21 - May 21, 2009 at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail:GPS Geotagging

No comments:

Post a Comment