Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 9–It was a beautiful Morning

When we awoke in Page, Az. this morning the skies were mostly clear and the temps were around 48-50. A much better start to the day than just 24 hours prior. After we ate breakfast and loaded up the bike, I noticed when I turned on my Garmin GPS that it was running on batteries and not being charged by the bike. This is not good. The Garmin was only half charged and it wouldn’t last all day in this condition. Next issue, the right shock or main drive for the rear wheel where the drive meets is leaking oil. The Honda shop in Albuquerque notice the same thing and thought it was the shock, but told me to watch it. After I filled up with gas, I wiped her down to see if I could Id which one was guilty. I departed the gas station and went directly to an auto parts store to fix the GPS. I took the fairing apart where all the connections where and one by one eliminated each connection until I had eliminated everything until it pointed at the main GPS cable which I cannot fix. That has to be replaced and I will have to improvise by just using the GPS when I need it for turn information.

So we headed over to the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon as planned and the ride over at lower elevation than 6000 were very comfortable and sunny. Then we started climbing and soon we were at an elevation of 8840 and we were back in the snow cover ground roads clear. We also had to add more layers to stay warm.

Once we arrived at the actual Canyon, the temps were once again comfortable and mostly sunny. We went directly to the restaurant to sit and relax and have a good meal. After lunch, we took off hiking some of the trails around the park. To my surprise, we found the overhang bridge was actually on the South Rim, but from what we saw here today, it didn’t matter. The paths were sometimes only 3 feet wide, winds gusting, and 6 to 8000 feet above the floor. Guess what? I’m still scared of heights, specially when the wind is blowing. Once I removed the hat, I was fine, but it still bother me a bit to cross some of those small paths. We spent so much time at the park that attempting to go to the south rim was impossible. The pictures we took here and what we saw here were awesome and well worth the trip. I would love to comeback and stay at one of their cabins.

We left the Northern Rim about 1:30-2:00pm and headed for Flagstaff for the night. As we started climbing out, you could see a nasty looking cloud bank in front of us. Where we were just sweating a bit in are suits in the park, the temps started falling fast. Then it started, spat on the windshield and the splat on my facemask. It started to snow very heavy wet flakes. There was no turning around and if was like most storms I have hit in this part of the country I would breakout in 5 minutes or so. It got pretty bad, I was wiping the building of snow off my mask, the road was starting to cover with slush, and Lori could not see at all with her single layered face shield. I have a special two layer fog prevention system and worked as described. To say I was bit un-nerved driving a motorcycle through a snow shower and it was building on the road is putting lightly. Just as with all storms so far here, we broke out in 5 minutes of riding. In the distance I could see a sportbike sitting on the side of the road and I figured they were contemplating whether to go forward or turn around, so I pulled over to give them a briefing on what laid ahead. I was surprised just how well the bike did in those conditions and it never even hinted at slipping and I guess that just proves that motorcycle tires are pretty awesome. I have no idea what the sportbike rider decided, but I felt better knowing that they knew what was ahead. If someone would have briefed me, I would have waited it out. But I also know that if I would driven as far as I have to get here and got that same briefing, I would have pushed through it knowing that I had almost brand new tires. The second thing that happened going through this today, it gave me more confidence in my bike and myself to motor through.

So the remainder of our day was spent riding to Flagstaff and nothing new happened to the Valkyrie or my components that I use. The change in scenery was dramatic and it looked to both of us as we riding through parts of the dessert. Off in the distance some 70 miles away, you could see a snow cover mountain sticking up above the horizon and I knew that Flagstaff was in range. The mountain top is at 12,633 feet and I believe it is called Humphrey’s Peak.

The last little bit to go here. When I stopped for gas a few times today, I determined that the right rear shock was leaking and not the hub. I’m about 90% sure. Seems to me that if that hub loses to much oil, we are done and those gears will burn up and make noise. Then as we are pulling into the motel, I hear a roar in the rearend. What the hell was that? After unpacking and leaving Lori in the room, I tried to get the bolt off to check fluids in that hub, but that wasn’t gong to happen with my tools. So I road it around the parking lot and it only makes the noise leaning left or right. It doesn’t matter if I apply power or not, it makes the noise. If I accelerate hard in a straight line no noise. If that gear box was going bad, it would make noise no matter leaning, without power, and specially applying power. So, I sent Gary Mace an email asking about those Metzelers ME880 and noise he had and I will have to wait what he says. I have already put 2000 miles on that new rear tire and it looks to me that it is already starting to cup, just as he mention to me in a email. Today was also the first day that I actually got to do some hard cornering in dry conditions and you can see that new wear also in the tire. Do not know how to describe that look. Maybe tomorrow I will take some shots of the tire so all can see.

Last thing was cool. We drove out for dinner to a restaurant that was located on historic route 66 and it was named Galaxy Diner. It was all dressed out in 1950ish details and the atmosphere was great until 3 bus loads of tourist showed up to eat. Damn tourist! Oh, I am one! Hehe!! I had a Hot Diggied Dog and Onion rings and I can’t remember what Lori had. After dinner, I ordered a Red Float which was Dr.Pepper and Vanilla ice cream float. Yum, and I guess I will have to diet when I get home.

So since this trip started 9 days ago, I had my first flat ever on a motorcycle on the road, GPS charging cradle broke, Right rear shock appears to be blown, and now I got a noise in the rearend of the bike that I hope is the tire. I’ve also driven around snow, in snow, and freezing temperature. So I’ve had enough of the drama and just want to enjoy the ride. This will likely be the last long distance ride for the Valkyrie, which is sad.

Tomorrow we will leave Flagstaff and the forecast is sunny in the morning with increasing clouds in the afternoon. We should wake to 48 or greater temps. As we head west toward our destination of Lake Havasu, should be Sunny and 95 by the time we arrive. What a dramatic change that will be. Tomorrow our plan is to see the Meteor Crater East of Flagstaff and then a cruise through Mingus Mountain around Flagstaff. Leaving Flagstaff we will ride a section of Historic highway 66. In Lake Havasu we will also visit the old London Bridge that was bought and shipped to the United States and re-assembled in Lake Havasu.

Todays run was 329 miles, and our total is now 3764.

Click here for today’s pictures:

Tomorrows route is pictured below:

Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 10.06.45 PM

The Picture below shows what we have completed and what we have left. The Red is complete and the Green is what is left.

Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 10.07.08 PM

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about all the mishaps, but what a beautiful part of the country! Enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries as long as we keep moving!! :) I found my new ride today also. BMW 1600 GTL, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete