Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 3–Weather was perfect

The sun was up early as were we and the temps were cool, but comfortable. We got started by actually turning south and then southeast to see some sights in Grand Isle, La. It was cool riding on a highway system that is basically built on stilts above the swamp, waterways, railways, and other stuff. I just can’t imagine how much time and money was spent building all these bridges. Throughout our travels today, I only saw one levee that appeared it was under repair. Almost everything I saw including housing seem to be put back together since the 2005 Hurricane Katrina. Now I did not ride around the city of New Orleans, but south toward the Gulf where the surge and wind was the strongest. Yes there were a few buildings that looked like they just gave up on, but everything else looked nice. Down in Grand Isle, if you look at the picture link, you will see lot’s of fishing boats, Oil refineries, bridges, bridges under repair, roads that appear to be on the same level as the road, and wetlands that are really pretty. I saw no oil on shore or animals that were covered.

On a funny note, I had the jeepers scared out of me today when suddenly shooting across my vision and into the motorcycle windshield, a bird made it’s last flight. Just a little fellow but I’m afraid as hard as he hit, he might not have survived. Also on this leg of the trip we stayed below 60 mph most of the time and the Valkyrie managed to squeeze out 36 mpg. Then when we got back on the highway and interstate system, back down to 28-30. Did you know in Texas that if it say’s 65 mph speed limit, that it is only a suggestion? I mean, really? I was pulling the trailer at 80 mph sometimes to get out of the way of cars zipping up behind me in order to move back into the right lane. Speaking of the Valkyrie, she is 12 years old, has just about 73,000 miles on her and it still runs and rides like new, amazing.

Once in Houston, an let me tell ya, this ole boy is out of his element here in this big city, we hooked up with Joy, Blair, Glenn and his wife for dinner and lot’s of chatter. It was good seeing these guys and they haven’t changed a bit. There was lot’s of laughs, good food, and catching up on old and new. Managed to get Joy to at least sit on the motorcycle, but unfortunately for her, we ran out of time and she didn’t get her ride. Well Joy, maybe someday.

So tomorrow’s route will have us ending in Austin for the night. I’m looking forward to finally getting to ride some roads that are not Interstates and may actually have some turns and scenery. The thing that might get in the way is the fires that they have been experiencing because of the major drought conditions. Lunch tomorrow should be our highlight of the day because the restaurant claims to have the best barbecue in Texas. Black’s Barbecue in Lockhart and we are going to give it a test run. We will also be running through Luckenbach Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys. Ok, that was an out take from the song, but we will cruise through town to see what’s up. Then lastly, will be riding by and along with the Colorado river in Texas just because. If we have time and we are not to beat, we will wonder through Austin’s nightlife to see what we can find.

Todays run was 517 miles, and our total is now 1566.

Click here for todays pictures.

Tomorrows route is pictured below

Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.19.55 PM

The Picture below shows what we have completed and what we have left. The Red is complete and the Green is what is left.

Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.20.36 PM

4 comments:

  1. Joy and Blair just looked at home on that bike. Hey guys... time for that road trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Canyon Lake while you're there, you may want to settle down there. Glad to see you met up with the old follks...except JOY...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you took Lorie along to take all the great PICS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Gary, they looked good with the bike, but I got the feeling that Blair didn't think he was safe behind the bars anymore. I might be wrong.

    Doug, I plan on stopping only to take pics in the canyons, but because of what said and showed me in pictures, I will be doing 3 day rides in the Moab Ut area. Actually 4 if you count the one skirting the southern edge on my way to Page, Az.
    Lori is in charge of the pictures. Sometimes to much in charge and I have to edit.

    ReplyDelete