Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 4 - Oh the Drama !!

What a beautiful morning we had greet us this morning. We had ourselves a nice breakfast courtesy of Country Inn & Suites and then we packed the bike an rode off westbound out of Houston while most were still sleeping. We cruised on highway 290W for the better part of 100 miles then stopped to test out my gas reserve system. I had loaded both canisters with 2 gallons each, closed them up snuggly, put them in the trailer, and then took them on a road trip. They passed the first test. No leaks, no mess, and no smell. The actually pouring of the fuel can always be messy, but not with these tanks. Once your ready to pour, you place the nozzle in the unlock position, then position the nozzle in the gas tank so as the lip gets caught with the little lever, for a better word, and then push the entire canister against the tank. This opens the valve and the fuel start dispensing without spillage. So all this worked out great. A+ on the Rotopax tanks. What a piece of mind knowing I have 4 gallons or 120 extra miles laying behind me in the trailer.

While we were sitting at the gas station and putting things back in the trailer, a friendly rider came cruising in on his new Harley and we chatted for about 15 minutes or so. Like the saying goes, you meet the nicest people on the road while motorcycling. Seems he just got back into riding after doing a trip in Switzerland with his brother and fell in love with riding all over again. We said are goodbyes and off we went.

We were having a good time actually riding in the country and enjoy a curve in the road here and there, instead of the constant grind of the Interstate. I actually had to say, “weeee” once while going through a long sweeping turn. Oh how I miss those curves once I have been off them for a bit. As we were approaching Lockhart Tx to stop at Black’s Barbecue for lunch, Lori and I both heard something under the bike either fall off, hit the bike, or I ran over it. I pretty much blew it off because everything was running and riding great. Then the road started feeling a little funny to me and I told Lori I was pulling over to check it out. I didn’t get off the bike, but check engine response, shook the frontend and all seemed good. I restarted down the road and came to the conclusion that there must be some funny grooves in the road because it almost felt like I had a tire going down. I ride a dual sport and at times I lower the tire pressure down to 12-15PSI to ride in the rocks and dirt and when your on hard surface roads it kind of feels like riding on marshmallows. People that drive 4 wheel drive trucks and drive them in the sand, do the exact same thing. Ok, here is where it gets good, I pull up to a stop sign in Lockhart and when I pull out to go, not doubter, the back tire is flat, flat, flat!!! Oh no!! In the middle of frigging nowhere on a Sunday and pulling a trailer, 1500 miles from home. Hugh sigh !!!!!!!!!!! Can you hear it? I’ll have you know, not a single cuss word. Not one!

I pulled into a convenience store parking lot, got off the Valkyrie to gather my thoughts and start planning. Lori, well what can I say, I know she is doing flip flops inside but trying hard to show a brave face. I knew I had to find the hole in the tire. If I could find it, I had a chance of fixing it myself. I put my portable pump on, rolled the bike around, but my poor little pump could not overcome the leak. So I rolled over to the pay air pump and start to fill and I got her back up to normal tire height an when I pull the air hose, you could hear the air gushing out. I keep moving the bike bit by bit and I found it. One problem down and now the diagnoses. Bad news, it was not a hole, but a half inch gash and I now I knew I had a very small chance of fixing it. I read and re-read the instruction on my tire patch kit and gave it a whirl. It’s holding air, but it is also leaking a small amount at the same time.

I decided to go the Black’s Barbecue, relax, gather my thoughts again, and see what rate that the tire was leaking. I also knew that it would leak faster as it spun, so I had to consider this. Once we were done eating, the tire was holding up fairly well so I plotted a non-Interstate route to Austin Texas where I had the greatest chance to find a new tire. I pumped the tire up to 40PSI and off we went on our hopeful 28 mile ride to Austin. After 10 miles I decided to be cautious, pull over, an check pressure. Lost 8 pounds in 10 miles. Pumped her back to 40PSI and off we went. Once again stopped at 10 mile mark and once again, lost 8-10PSI. I was now within 8 miles of our planned stopped and was sure that I could make it. I pumped her up to 40 PSI and off we went. We made it! Ah and so much drama being so far from home and spare tires are not an option. Do you know this is the first flat I have ever had on a motorcycle while riding around home or on any trip? Before today, I wasn’t even sure I knew how to fix a hole in a tire without a tube, but when it’s in your face, you do what you have to do. Thank God I was smart enough to always carry a tire patch kit, tools, tire gauge and a pump. I thank all of this knowledge and know how to my dual sport riding. I had a few very not so nice adventures with that bike, but it has taught me well.

So, we are currently stuck in Austin Texas and everything to do with motorcycle repair is closed until Monday. I have a store picked out for tomorrows call. I will decide what to do after the conversation with them but it will either be, install the old tire that I brought with me and I’ll get a new one in San Diego, or if you have one in stock, install it. I do not want to waste time sitting waiting for a tire to be shipped when I can call a week ahead in San Diego and have it waiting on me. So, let’s just hope that they can do the job and or, have a new tire and can install it so we can get moving on.

The bike is currently parked and the tire pressure at last check was down to 15PSI, so replacing the tire is my only option. The one thing that burns me, and it shouldn’t because we are safe, is that the contact patch of a motorcycle tire is only about 1 inch wide and I managed to clip whatever with the front tire, and then ran over it with the back tire and slashed it. One inch contact patch!! What are the odds? At least it didn’t go flat at speed and scare the beejees out us. This is just a temporary speed bump in my trip and all will be good soon.

Before I forget to post, let me talk just a little bit about the two of meals of the day. Black’s Barbecue was awesome. I had some type, yes some type of Barbecue beef that was cooked so tender and juicy it was beyond awesome. It needed no other sauce and it was completely different than Carolina style or the old tomato based that is also really popular. I wish I could describe it and what it taste like but it just had a taste all it’s own. Then for dinner we walked about 3 blocks to Home Slice Pizza. That was our choice before we left and it’s claim was it was the next best thing to being in New York City. Well I do not all about that, it was good but I’ve never been to New York City so how do I compare? It was fun to sit right next to the cook and watch him put it all together, throwing it up in air, and all that good stuff. It was like watching a show. So if your ever in Lockhart Texas, you have to go to Black’s Barbecue and if your ever in Austin Texas and your on South Congress Street, stop in and enjoy a slice of pizza and a show at $3.50 a slice, plus a drink. You can tip if you throw it in the tip jar!!

Our pictures today will show some interesting things. How about the smallest Catholic church that is actually active. The outside of Black’s Barbecue and one shot down the street of Lockhart. It bothers me that I didn’t have time to do more in Lockhart because I felt like I had driven back in time to the 50’s. Lori was kind enough to take a shot of the flat tire but not one of me working on it. That face might not have been a happy face. Lori also took some pictures of where we are staying tonight and it is different and nice. Very Cozy so if we get stuck here another night, it will be ok.

So tomorrow’s plan; It will begin right after the owner serves us breakfast in our room or outside our room if it is nice. Sweet !! Then I will be calling a Honda shop to see if they can get me going. If they can get me up and running by 4pm, we will just make a direct shot to Waco, Tx and skip the scenic ride. If they can’t, I will staying in Austin and then push all my reservation back a day that I have done and then do the entire ride as planned once I get on the road. So let’s keep our fingers crossed that the stars are aligned for Lori and I tomorrow.

Todays run was 219 miles, and our total is now 1785.

Click here for todays picture

6 comments:

  1. The Honda place will hook you up. Especially when you tell them you are on a vacation trip. You all will be on your way. Nice and cozy hut you all stayed in. Lori thanks for the pics, again. Even of the flat tire. Mark, you jinks yourself talking about the tires, it's all your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgat, all the roads in that area are mainly straight and boring, some are not bad 281 in the hill country is OK. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just worry about the Honda shop I have picked is not the main honda dealer in the area. That shop is closed Monday and I want to get things moving. As long as they can at least change tires, I will have my old tire installed and order one to be waiting for me in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it wasn't a blow out. As a backup, lookup the Yamaha and yes, even the Harley dealers in the area. Most will help a traveler regardless of what they are riding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, I will do that Gary, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Sorry about the flat, but glad you made it to Black's and had some awesome bbq. There are worse places to be stuck than Austin, TX, right? Enjoy the unplanned break and the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete