Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 1 Complete

Today went off without a hitch. The weather in Virginia was overcast an a bit cool at speed, but we were dry and that is always good. Once we got to Bristol Va/Tn, the clouds parted and the sun came bearing down on us and we started shedding the riding layers. Going through most of Tennessee it was a very balmy 88 degrees for the entire ride. We left Stephens City about 8:30am and arrived at our hotel in Chattanooga Tn. about 6pm. 519 miles and all is good for now.

Tomorrow will be a repeat of today in that we have another day of Interstate riding, which I hate, but we have a lot of ground to cover. My plan was to basically sprint to Houston Texas and then start my normal off the main road riding. I have another 527 mile day planned for leg 2 and we should end up in New Orleans, La. Like most of my stops, this will only be a one night stay, so we will try an get a Cajun meal, take a few pictures and that is about all for New Orleans.

The highlights for tomorrow ride will be Lake Pontchartrain, which is a 24 mile crossing, and then a meal at Coquette’s. One thing we might see from the Interstate is the damage that was done by the tornado in Tuscaloosa, AL which happen April 27, 2011. Do not hold me to the date.

Screen shot 2011-05-12 at 8.38.13 PM

2 comments:

  1. Did you guys notice the tornado mayhem at VA exit 29 on I-81? What a mess huh?

    Be safe guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I did see that and I do not remember that forecast for Virginia. I know it was part of the same storm, just didn't hear it was in Va. Pretty nasty stuff. We didn't see much in Alabama except a few trees twisted to the ground. I think most of the damage was further away from the Interstate system.

    ReplyDelete