Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 8–Was a little ridiculous

What was ridiculous was the fact that when I stepped outside to bring the Valkyrie around to load her up, it was snowing. I kid you not. It was 35 degrees and the skies looked like they could bust loose any moment with rain, sleet, or snow. To say I had reservations about going anywhere was putting it lightly. I did weather checks before bed and weather checks all morning before I had to make a decision. Two major considerations were, if the temperatures where high enough so the roads would not freeze and if Lori could ride and stay warm without her heated suit. I’ll give her credit, she was game to go. I was really considering staying another night and trying again tomorrow.

We decided to give it a go based on everything we knew. The Interstate was good, but the first road that I turned onto didn’t last long. I first saw snow on a mountain ridge about 500 to 1000’ above my current elevation and then as I crested a hill, sleet started pounding my face shield. I looked down the road an all I saw was what looked like a wall of snow heading in my direction. I pulled over, checked my elevation of 7000’ and decided to find a lower altitude and hope for warmer temperatures and rain. It worked, I reversed course to the Interstate, 6300’, and headed west to Arizona. I pulled off at the Welcome center to warm up a bit and find another route to Page. I plotted a new route and intercepted my original route around Chinle.

As the day wore on the temperatures rose to around 47-50 and the skies stayed mostly overcast with rain showers sliding by in all directions and sizes. We got one picture where the rain shower was about 100’ in diameter and you could see the rain bouncing off the ground. What can I say about the scenery we saw? Wow is the only thing that comes to mind and our pictures do the landscape no justice. You must all make a mental note that before you leave this earth that drive through the Navajo Indian Reservation. I also want to thank Gary Mace for suggesting this part of the country to me and I will catch the rest of it when I come back through the Moab in 10 or so days.

One thing that kind of bummed us out was getting caught up in some road construction that delayed us three times for a total of 45 minutes. I didn’t expect that in the middle of what looked like the desert. Let’s just say their road skills would not fly in the high traffic areas like DC or all of Northern Virginia.

We rolled into Page Az, around 6:10 with temperatures still holding 45 degrees. The skies were still overcast and misting but at the same time the sun was trying to bust through. Tomorrow forecast around 8am should be almost 58 and calling for a high of 73. Rain forecast is 20%. Much better than Gallup this morning. I did a quick weather scan when we arrive in Lake Havasu in 2 days and it will be 95! I think I can safely say as far as weather goes, we have seen almost everything now.

So tomorrow’s plan will be to head the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon and walk out on the ledge that looks pretty scary. Did I mention I’m scared of heights? Well I am, but I will walk out on the ledge/platform as long as it is open to the public. The road getting to the northern rim also looks like it’s going to be fun with lot’s of switch backs. That means I will finally get to use the sidewalls on the Valkyrie if traffic permits. Then we will slide over to the more popular south rim for another viewing. After we visit both sides we will head for Flagstaff , AZ for our overnight stay. The weather in Flagstaff has only a 10% chance of rain but low of 36 overnight and the first thing in the morning. What a day that will be, we leave Flagstaff at 35-40 degrees and arrive in Lake Havasu and it will be 93-95 degrees. 

Todays run was 386 miles, and our total is now 3435.

Click here for today’s pictures:

Tomorrows route is pictured below:

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 10.17.50 PM

The Picture below shows what we have completed and what we have left. The Red is complete and the Green is what is left.

Screen shot 2011-05-19 at 10.20.02 PM

1 comment:

  1. Hi guys,

    Didn't know you were staying in Lake Havasu. If for some reason you run into trouble, our good friends Mike and Valerie Johnson live there. Very nice folks. Mikes cell is 928-486-6689.

    ReplyDelete