Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Work Day for me and Dixie…..

IMG_1331IMG_1330

Ok, let’s make this official so everyone is onboard and no one is left thinking, what the hell is up with the little Red Headed toy figure. It was given to me by a workmate and I was asked one simple thing. If you have time or if you feel like, when your at some of your adventure locations, take some pictures of her and post them for us. Define us? Now this individual didn’t come right out and say it was for the kids or for all of the worker bees at work, but what I do understand to date is that they are having a good time at work waiting to see where she shows up next. I really do not believe for a minute that this individual thought for one second that I would include the Red Head, but I think they might have under estimated my sense of humor. Second if it is for the kids, I’m all in.

Here is the problem, I needed a name for Red Head and today the official announcement of my worker and travel companion is here. I want everyone to met, “Dixie Chickaloon Dixon.” So from this day forward whenever I mention Dixie without a picture, you will know who she is. I decided to adopt Dixie for 42 days and or 6 weeks and when I safely return to Virginia, I will turn Dixie over to her original parent so maybe somebody else will end up adopting her and take this little worker bee on vacation. This is how traditions begin. Sometimes there's just silly games to entertain our human existence. One more thing about Dixie. She is not a very stable girl, so I made a small modification in order to simplify standing. All I know is now she smiles while standing instead looking all po’ed.

Now to what had to be done today. I had many things to get done with the BMW and it all started about 9am. I really needed my own private garage, because I must have spent a minimum of 3 hours just chatting with everyone that wanted to talk motorcycles, me being from Virginia, what and where I’ve been, and just stuff. It was all fun and interesting and friendly, but it made for a very long day.

SAM_3011

So as you can see to the left, that rear tire is shot and I’m pretty sure that is just 6000 miles on that tire. Those roads through upper Canada and parts of Alaska are brutal on tires. The best I can do to describe them is like rubbing your hand on 60 grit sandpaper for a day or two. The type of rock they throw down in the chip seal is coarse. I also had a low beam headlight burn out yesterday so that was the first project before we started working on that tire. Then I made the Dixie mod, so she could help. Then finally I attempted to find some 3m double back tape to mount my new Gerbing Switch, but the autoparts store was out. I will have to visit a few other stores until I find it because the double back velcro stuff didn’t work. 3m makes the best.

 

SAM_3012SAM_3013

So you can see above it is great to have an extra set of hands to help you hold something or just to give them busy work. Dixie was responsible for taking the rims off the bike and then I would carry them over to the shop and they would mount the tires. You can see she is very stable with that new modification.

SAM_3014

This next part is likely to get me all kinds of negative feedback or bunches of laughter for the men. I let Dixie handle the air since most women are just full of air. How else are they able to talk so much. Either way, she did a nice job with the air!! Smile ladies, it’s all in humor!

SAM_3015

I do not care if your girl or not, equal rights baby. Your going to get dirty and do the nasty oil change with me or I’m leaving you in Alaska. I got a very nasty glare from Dixie with that comment, but she got right to it. The oil change on this particular BMW took all of 30 minutes from start to finish. I spent most of time just removing and replacing the skid plate that protects the lower engine case.

SAM_3017SAM_3016

So after a hard days work with Dixie and a little help of the Motorcycle shop in Anchorage, the BMW is ready to go for at least another 5,000 miles. Yes that is a brand new set of tires hanging on the bike because I know without a doubt that those dirt bike tires will never make it back to Virginia. Dirt tires really burn fast on asphalt, but they are extremely fun off road and I intend on playing off road. Right Dixie?

SAM_3018

Did you really think after working outside all day in the 75 degree heat, in the middle of the day, that you were done? Really? Come on Dixie, get your butt in the laundry room and wash, dry, and fold those cloths. When your done, I’'ll let you buy me dinner.

I hope ya’ll all enjoyed meeting Dixie and now understand that it is all in fun. You Bay 5 guys, are you smiling now!! Hope so. I just can’t wait to see who takes Dixie next on vacation and then try's to explain it to their family. The BMW is ready to roll and I’m ready to roll. Sitting around all day and not moving to a new location just didn’t seem right. Now I have news.

I have spoken with so many people from Tok, McCarty, Valdez, and lastly Anchorage that asked me if I’m going to Homer and out the spit. Debbie Fanatia has asked me a few times and she and husband Tom are moving there as soon as the details of selling in Denver are taken care of. Another issue, the Denali Highway, which is a major attraction that I wanted to drive is still closed. Another kind of cool detail information was given to me today. Daniel, my youngest son is flying to Anchorage, work related, this weekend and I’m waiting for actual dates to see if it might workout to see him. Very small possibility of a met, but if it works, I ‘ll take him out to lunch or something.

Tomorrow’s plan route to Seward then Mt.McKinley that I had all laid out, is out. Instead I’m going to Seward, then cruising over to Homer and stay the night. This puts Inuvik, Yukon, Canada in jeopardy. Going to Prudhoe is primary, and Inuvik was secondary, so if I give up any part of my trip, I knew Inuvik was it. That saves me 4 days and I will spend one on Homer. Seem it is a must see, so I will see.

So be warned, my plan is laid out for planning purposes only and it gives me timing and what not to miss from my point of view. Because of all the work with my routes and waypoints created, it is very easy for me to make mods like this on the fly. Sometimes I have pulled over to side of the road, whipped out the computer, fired up Mapsource and created or modified a route. Then USB it to my Garmin and go with it. Nothing is in stone. Just like, thanks to my brother John, today I made a modification in the Seattle Washington area because of that bridge collapse on I-5 caused by truck hauling to tall a load. Ouch, estimated 15 million dollar mistake on his part or the pilot car. Either way, someone is going to get their a$$ chewed.

The next day I will leave Homer and get back on track with my original route and end very near Mt.McKinley. This will give the road crews another day to open the Denali. If that doesn’t happen, then I head to Prudhoe bay early. Then I will attempt one last pass at the Denali on my way southbound track prepping for my exit out of Alaska.

Pictures of the Day.  Just so you know, they are exactly the pictures already on this blog above. So unless you just want to see them play in a large format via Flickr, you need not bother clicking the link. I hope you enjoyed the comedy post with Dixie.

Back to the Adventure tomorrow with a short 300 miler. Weather once again looks awesome.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 9.33.27 PM

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad Dixie is there to help ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are insane or really bored or both :) Dixie is having the time of her life I'm sure. Thanks for all the pictures.

    P.S. My sons & hubby are arriving in Anchorage on the early morning of June 10. Looks like you will be headed south by then though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dixie has been a good traveling partner. She's quite, doesn't eat, doesn't require to much attention and a pretty good worker. I just can't wait to see if anyone else takes her on vacation. I think it would be funny.

    June 10th? Where will I be? I'm thinking Seattle area, back in the USA again. I guess they are going to Alaska to pickup that airplane tou mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they are in Anchorage now!! Thanks for leaving behind some good flying weather :)

      Delete