Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 3, Wet, cold, not so fun

I have to make this fast because I can see what's wrong with my MacBook and it is the power cord. If I can make Winnipeg in a timely manner tomorrow, I can buy another at the Apple Store.  That mean leaving early and in the rain again. 

Today started out well enough because even though it was overcast, there was no rain. That lasted until about noon and then it came and it came, and then it came some more. It was also bouncing between 48-52 degrees. At first I didn't want to stop and plug in the heated gear but about 1 hour from my destination, I couldn't take it anymore and plugged up the vest and gloves. My legs were ok and my toes were a bit cold, but I felt ok. Now with the heat on I felt invigorated. 

I came blasting into Nipigon, Ontario to the hotel I picked out and they said, sorry booked. I said really? She said about 30 minutes ago a sink hole opened up 3 miles outside of town and everyone is rushing to get rooms. I went one hotel down the block and got a room. Pretty nice to because the insides have been recently remodeled. Outside doesn't look like much, but inside is nice. Specially for $87. 

I walked down the road about 3 blocks and decided I need to get supper. I missed lunch because there was nothing along my route once it was time to eat. Everything that was available was 2 hours behind me. So, I stopped on the side of the road, ate a pack of peanuts with a little water, (Yes, my $50 water bottle paid off!!), and then down the road I went. 

Let me tell you something about the BMW, well two stories quickly. First, I knew when I bought it that the fuel range could out ride me. I made 285 miles today before I stopped for fuel and she still had fuel, but I needed a 5 minute break. Yep, just 5. Day 3 and my butt break-in is almost complete. Except for the 10 minute peanut stop on the side of the road, that was it. I ran the entire length today with about 15 minutes in breaks. Hardcore? Well for me it is, when you add in the cold and rain. I still got a little damp, I think because I didn't seal the bottom of my jacket and my toes felt a little damp. Tomorrow I will do a better job being ready for the rain. 

Story two on the Bmw. I know Gary Mace is going to say it's because I'm top heavy but my extra fuel tnaks have not been filled yet. I think it was funny and just plain silly at the same time. I stopped just long enough to hop off the bike, take a picture, and hop back on. I didn't even kill the engine. We I mount the bike like I always do, like a horse, I kid you not, I got blasted by a gust of wind broadside and I just couldn't hold it up. I caught it, but the wind just keep blasting and I could not fight it back upright. Having a 32 inseam on a bike with a 32-34 inch seat height didn't help either. So I just softly laid her on her rightside, walked around to ensure the kickstand was down, in gear, and bike off. Picked her right up with all gear loaded, with two legs and off I went. Best part???? No one saw me, so the only one laughing at me, was me. This was not my first drop and it will not be my last. 

About 15 miles from the last nights hotel, I saw moose! Looked like a calf to me and it was about 30-40 away from the side of the road. I consider for 5 seconds turning around and getting a picture and thought better of it. I read the warnings that if  mother feels her space is vilolated, she will track you down and stomp you to death. Meh! Moving on. Later in the day I saw two more Bullwinkles behind a guard rail and raven, so I snaped two shots and tookoff. So today I saw 3 bullwinkles.  

I wish I could honestly tell you that I'm looking forward to tomorrows ride, but in the rain at 40 degrees, is not something that makes my day. Part of the game, but I honestly wait dry and cold, not wet and cold. 

Battery is just about dead, so I must upload with no pictures. When I get power for the laptop, I will do another post with pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment