Friday, May 17, 2013

Here we go!

Well after two years of slow but steady planning, the day has arrived. Tomorrow morning, May 18th 2013, I will begin my 6 week, 42 day, and 16,500 mile adventure through, Canada, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Minnesota, Wyoming, Colorado, and then I will be sprinting home from there. I’m 99% packed except for those last minute things that I will need when I first wake in the morning. There is nothing left that I believe I can take that will make me more safe or comfortable. I personally believe that I thought of everything that could go wrong that I can fix or have the skills to fix. Communication setup is the best that I can muster with GPS trackers, GPS Nav, and Cell. When my stops allow Wi-Fi, it will be primary communication tool. I’m tired of planning and I ready to run.

For those that don’t know and those that do, here is my why. I said 2 years, but it’s actually a lifetime, if I take it all in. But in my mind it all started July 1999 when my Dad passed away suddenly. Massive heart attack took his body, but his presence is still in me. Things I do, things I say, and things I feel, tell me he will always be part of me. I learned many lessons from him and the one the left the largest impression on me is, you never ever give up on your child, no matter how bad it looks. I personally never had to invoke this with my boys and I feel lucky, but what I saw my Dad do at times, reference his own kids, impressed me.

One of my fondest memories is when he would pull that little pop up camper to different destinations, one being California, 4 kids and a guinea pig, and would do his rendition of the Auctioneer. If my two brothers are reading this and not remembering it, they must have Alzheimer's. If I know my two brothers, right about the time they hit the play button on the video below they will be smiling and maybe just tearing up a bit. The old man also did this while calling Square Dancing in the 60’s. This brought me a smile.

Now let me finish the reason for this trip. 14 years ago I stood with broken heart over my dad’s casket wondering why so young, 71. Why? Today the answer still does not come to me, but time has softened the blow. I know everyone thinks their parents are special, or at least I hope they do, but I always considered him my dad and my friend. All my questions and all my youthful concerns would always be listened to and answered the best he had to offer. The day I asked his permission to ask Lori to marry me, not only did he approve, but he also gave advice on handling girl friends father. No matter the outcome, make sure you show respect. His firm parental hand, could always be predicted. He’s sense of humor still runs rampant through my veins. One of his favorite saying that he would use on women when he opened a door for them, I‘m still using at least once a week where I work. You open the door for any gender, smile and then say, “Age before beauty!!!” Beware though, using this on women might bring you harm. Overall, he was a pretty cool dude in his era.

Standing over his open casket, I reached in separated his hands, and slid a small matchbox RV between his stomach and hands. I closed them back over the RV and made that promise. Before I leave this earthly place, if God thought it right, I would complete his dream to drive to Alaska. He wanted to drive an RV, so I’m making a small modification in riding a motorcycle but I know he would not mind.

So for me, the arrival of this date is a happy one and sad one at the same time. No matter how much I think about it, this sort of puts a closing chapter on Dad. I know he will always be part of me, but there is no replacement for Dad.

Ok you know the whole story and now maybe, just maybe, you will now think I’m not so crazy for attempting this adventure. I also want to thank all those that I work with who came up to me personally wished me well. Sometimes we just do not know all those we touch until something brings it to light, like this trip. I think those that I work with are more excited about my trip then I am ,if that is possible. I have been given things of humor, like the little toy girl and the request that I take pictures of her at some of the attractions that I run into. I will honor this request. I have a piece of paper with many signed names, I will take this with me on this journey. Then my trainee, who has heard story after story from me about Alaska, gave me a key ring with a special message inscribed, it will also make the trip. Thank you Mrs. Kauffman.

The last person I need to give really special thank you to, is my wife of 32 years. Without her support and understanding, none of this would happen. She has never stood in my way or fought me about this trip, but she is as nervous and worried as a mother hen. That’s her and I wouldn’t change a thing. Never fear woman, I will return to harass you until infinity. This is Mark Love!

Ok, this briefing is over! Let’s get this show started.

IMG_1284

Not the Destination, But the Journey.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is powerful! I wish you all the best and hope you have a wonderful, soul-searching time! Enjoy every minute and absorb all of the beauty and energy life has to offer! Your Dad will be with you every step of the way! You will come back a changed man with lots of inner peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old man, you're speaking to me again. This time through my friend and fellow traveler, Mark Dixon. Sometimes I don't hear from you for awhile and I think maybe you've gotten just a little too busy for your boy. But then, just as I'm starting to doubt, I hear your voice again. One request; Don't wait so long next time before I hear from you? Thanks Dad.
    - Jeff

    ReplyDelete