Sunday, May 26, 2013

The pride I feel is large, but the closing of a chapter is final.

imageTo understand what I have to say next you will have had to read the beginning of this adventure HERE. While I was passing Destruction Bay today cutting through the Yukon, something pulled on me as I passed a strange looking monument or funny looking ornaments just sitting in a empty field. I slowed, geared down, and made a u-turn. I swung by the location and did another u-turn and stopped on the side of the road. Click the picture at the beginning of this paragraph and you will see why it might attract someone to stop. What was pulling me there? I shut down the bike, removed my helmet and there was no traffic, no wind, no noise. You could hear nothing, silence. I walked on over to the figures and stones and it turned out to be a tribute to someone who had passed this world in 2005. The read was awesome and it was written by the person that died. I know nothing of him, nor did I know it was there. He must have been fun to be around and was likely respected by a lot of people. His saying is something everyone should read and live by. I will give it to you here. “Follow your Dreams, Be Kind, and Always Remember to Enjoy Everyday of your Life.” That pretty much a great way to live life and I try my best already to do all of the above. Being Kind is by far the hardest, but I have gotten better with age. Personal review only, I’m sure some I work with would beg to differ. That’s ok. That saying is so close to something that I lived by for a long time, “Live life as to have no regrets.” So maybe that is why it spoke to me. Maybe it was Dad telling me that he approved of my adventure and he wanted me to continue to live the remainder of my days this way. Where some might cry, I left this field with a smile on my face.

So about 1:30 my time, I crossed into the United States again and into Alaska with a, “Big Dumb Smile”, as John Cassarly so sincerely txt sometime during my journey this day. He was right on. I had no emotional reaction other than that because I guess I had 14 years to think about it, 2 years of actual planning, 9 days and 4,189 miles to ride it. But what it really does is close the final chapter on my Dad. There is nothing left that was know to me or mentioned to me that he ever wanted or dreamed of. What I have left now is my memories and they are good ones. There was no greater supporter of his kids no matter what they ventured into. He had big expectations of us all and I felt that I really let him down by not finishing college. He bugged me to no end to take the test for the FAA and I took it just shut him up, but in hind sight, once again he had my back. In the end, I know he was proud of me, his other kids, and at least I can proudly say that at least one of his grandsons finished college. We, me entire family still have projects in works and he would really proud of them also. My Dad had an 8th grade education, (not by choice, farming) and he wanted more for his kids, so now you understand his original disappointed in me. Enough of this, the next paragraphs are for my brothers.

John and Todd, you both know that no matter how bad we kids were, and we all had our issues, he never stopped believing in his kids. Remember his words, and if you never heard them here they are, “ Your child my stray to the right of the path or the left of the path, but you as a parent can only do one thing and that is show them the path. You hope that in the end, they come out on the path.” I have a request of Todd because he still lives in our hometown. We kids also knew that Dad enjoyed certain things and also certain things bugged the hell out of him. So Todd, soon go to his grave and drop a few green beans and pour a little black on his head. Then finally, whip out your phone and play Shania Twains, “Love gets me everytime”. Damn he hated that song. I still remember him saying, “Gone and done it, Gone and done it! who!!” That song drives me nuts.” Still make me, Mark Dixon, smile today watching his body language describing that song.  Todd, if your lucky, the ground will rumble after he turns over in his grave. John, Thanks for all the support txt’s. Sometimes the cell service just didn’t allow me to answer in a timely manner, specially the further north I pushed.

To all the folks at work that signed that Bon voyage sheet, know that it is still safely in my Tankbag, even though the words, Bon Voyage have faded. We are still working on a name for Redhead, but she too has made the entire trip and she will get a new modification soon. Yes, the key chain is still attached to the inside of my jacket helping to secure my backup keys in case the old man loses or misplaces the original set. Hopefully all of us will make it home safely because we are not half way through yet. We have another 12,500 miles to go, not even half way!! Damn, I’ll have no ass when I return. BUT, I promise to still be an Ass!

Are you guys expecting me to talk about my ride today? Really? Ok, it was great. Does anyone know what this sign means?

Let’s just say from Whitehorse to Alaskan border they were placed everywhere. Finally they just said screw it and stop putting them up because the snow heaves in the road were in series, one right after another. It got to be a game with me to rate them on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 being the worst. Had I know that the last 2 miles would make all the difference in the world on my rating system. I hit one that threw me up high enough to completely upload my shocks and when they compressed, both my foot pegs scraped the ground. Yes, my ass cleared the seat when the bike started down. After lunch, I forgot to latch my tail bag with my fuel tanks, and when I hit two heaves in a row, smack, fuel tanks in the back. That smarted a little bit but no damage to me or the bike. It might not sound like it, but I was having fun. Standing on my pegs and riding at 80 mph dancing on the heaves and sudden patches of dirt and gravel. I had a big old grin on my face. I’m sure that if Lori would have been within arm reach, she would given me a forehead open hand smack just to cool my jets. Lori’s not here!!! hehe! Next thing that just made me laugh thinking about the occupants and the RV’s themselves was watching them bounce up and down and sway side to side. They looked like a boat being tossed around on the ocean. Does anyone need motion sickness pills. When I stopped for gas and was telling the clerk these stories, she said, “Yep, our version of Disney!” Once in Alaska, it was back to boring smooth roads. Sad smile

One more story and Lori will roll her eyes on this one. My routine got messed up this morning because the hotel wanted me to remove my extra tires on the bike because they were afraid someone would take them,so it took me extra time to pack up to leave. Plus I was worked up about crossing the border. I went to Tim Horton’s got me a water, bacon egg thingy, and chocolate dip donut to keep my diet intact. Then I went buzzing out of town thinking all is good. Hmm, Fuel???? Did we get fuel? No Old Dix is showing his age. So I quickly reached for the odometer, 65 miles of fuel left. Then Garmin did a fuel search in front of me, 70 miles straight line. In case you do not know, it figures the exact mileage once you say go. After that, 145, and then 250. I think I better turn around an get gas 2 miles backwards. Yeah, I had the extra on tailbag, but I do not want to use it until I exit Canada the next time. I was thinking, what a goober.

I saw almost no wild life today, which I thought was a bit odd. What I did see was some amazing scenery and something everyone should see on there own terms. You are just going to have to go see them for yourself via my Picture of the day link. But Destruction bay, that crack in the ice was cool, and some of the motorcycle shots turned out nice also. To many to list, but I will post a few of my favorites below.

From my house to the Alaska border was 4,189 miles and 9 days on a motorcycle. My run today was a very relaxing 386 miles, giving me a total run so far 4,255. Tomorrow’s forecast looks to be sunny between 42-72 degrees. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! You know how to find tomorrow’s route, right? 2 more legs and I will be taking at least one day off from riding and will be doing maintenance on the BMW. Back tire is starting to really show wear, 10-20% tread left.

Before there is major oversight here because I’m trying to remember everything on the fly, Thanks to my very forgiving wife who had a lot to do in making this trip happen. Next time we come together. So far, the roads just are not as bad as people make you believe. You can do it!!

Pictures of the Day

imageimageimage

 

imageimageA must read in my opinion, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The Big Dummy was all worked up he forgot to put the link for his Pictures of the day. So here is the link to them http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmdixon/sets/72157633723142711/

    ReplyDelete