Thursday, May 23, 2013

Day 6 was another awesome weather day.

SAM_2550Nothing special happened today which means life is good. If there is no drama with roads, weather, body aches, and or breakdowns, then life is good. I was up by 5:15am local time because I would assume that my body is still functioning on East Coast time. I laid there for about 5 or 10 minutes and just decided, let’s get this thing going. So I showered, ate breakfast, packed the bike, fueled the bike, and off I went into the wild blue yonder. That was fun. I’ve never really had a chance to use that saying, so there it is.

Like yesterday I awoke to low 40’s which soon were reach the 50’s and beyond. By the time I reached my one night destination, it was 70 degrees on the button. There is not much here in Valley View, but all human needs can be found. Have you ever eaten at a Tim Horton’s? Not bad. Their online so I will let those that are curious, Google away.

I do not have the exact figure, but I laid another 535 miles down today which caused my motorcycle to flip the odometer over 29,000 miles. The R1200GSA will need every fluid dropped by the time I get home, because in case you forgot the number, I should be laying down a minimum of 16,500 miles on this trip. After I run tomorrow’s leg, this trip will be over 3000 miles in a week. Yep, tomorrow will end week 1 and I’m not in Alaska yet. To put these numbers in your mind. If I would have started this trip with the destination of Los Angles, Ca., I would have arrived 300 miles ago. That is about a 2600 mile trip and I did that in 6 days. I still have about 1400 – 1500 miles to go. That is just to cross the Alaska boundary. To get to Anchorage, well let’s just not worry about that right now. Mission one, cross that border.

My views today was much like yesterday, flat and not much to report on. Someone at work wondered if I had been through a particular city and today I passed through it. Lloydminster, was the entry point into the province Alberta. Lloydminster was big enough to warrant a Wal-Mart. I just can’t get away from that store. They taken over the world. Did I mention that Canada is so much like the United States, that I can hardly believe I’m in another country. Yea, they say some thing's differently, but overall everything is the same. They have every store we do plus a few others. So now my question is, why does Chris Lloyd know about Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada other than the obvious? Did he visit here? Is it named after him? Someone start quizzing.

I only took a few pictures today so enjoy what little I have to offer today. Tomorrow I expect the landscape will be changing into a more mountainous terrain. Once I cross into British Columbia I will turning almost due north most of the day. Then hard west the last 120 miles. I plan on making the extra length tomorrow so the next two days will be shorter and easier on me. 552 is what I must ride tomorrow and it will be the longest leg to date.

One more little story and I will close this post with my pictures. Tomorrow I will top of my built in fuel tank before leaving, but this time, I will fill my 2 Red Reserves. Things are getting more and more spread out and then there is this reason. Today I saw a motorcyclist pulled off on the side of the road and even though I was not a local, I stopped. He was talking on the phone a few hundred feet away from the bike. With all the wind noise and highway noise, he didn’t even hear or see me stopped. I blew my horn and got his attention. He waved me off letting me know all was good, so I pulled away. What if he was out of gas? I would not have been able to help and I really didn’t want to at that point, offer my remaining fuel. I had tools to fix almost anything, but that was not needed. So tomorrow I fill the tanks.

In my pictures of the day, the train trusses were very well built and cool to look at in person. Resemble an old woody roller coaster. I should have known Canada was an oil producer, but I forgot. Long range views straight down the road. Lastly Red Head was helping me pump gas today and told me when she batted her eyes, we’re full.

Pictures of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment