Friday, May 31, 2013

End of week 2 already. Doesn’t feel like 2 weeks!

SAM_3134This morning in Homer it was pretty much clear with some low floating clouds that seem to be normal around there. Something else that seems to be normal and I forgot to mention yesterday and that is Eagles. I saw at least 4 in the last 12 hours and every single time, no camera in hand. Eagles must be camera shy! Now back to the business of cycling, motorcycling that is. It is and was time to point this ship north again and head to Mt. McKinley or Denali National Park.

Blasting out of Homer by 7:30 or 8am and it didn’t take long to get into fog and low overcast skies. Temperatures for the first 180 miles stayed pretty constant between 47-50. I turned on my liner once or twice, more to test it than needing it and I wished I had taken time to test the lower section that was broken before. So tomorrow morning that will be my priority.  It would be nice to know for sure that the entire suit works prior to leaving Coldfoot for Prudhoe Bay. Looking like there might be rain and snow in the forecast for Sunday and a high of 38. Can you hear me sigh yet? I got the gear, I got the bike, and I got the tires, so there is no reason other than fear that I cannot do this. To me this is no different than going up Mt. Evans on a motorcycle. If you have no clue about Mt Evans let me help you out. It is the highest hard surface road in the United States at 14,250 feet and for my metric friends, 4,343 meters. If your scared of heights, this one will work on your fears for sure. That is later in this adventure.

For the first 221 miles today it was a backtrack event for me but I did get to see things in reverse. So you’re thinking, “so what!” Well the example of seeing things in reverse is that yesterday I didn’t see that Oil Rig working in the channel. Who says they don’t drill in Alaska?

SAM_3176

This is also one of my favorite shots of the day. My little digital camera does it no justice, plus I was moving at 65 mph.

 

 

 

SAM_3191

I also saw Herbie the Love Bug being towed down the road. Poor Herbie!

 

 

 

 

SAM_3193SAM_3194

What would you do when reading the first sign in the picture? Now what would do when you read the second sign? Oh hell, just give it some gas and go faster!!

 

 

 

SAM_3211SAM_3212

As you can see by the two pictures to the left, I made it to Denali where Mt. McKinley is located and is most of the time hidden in the clouds. You have to get extremely lucky to see it and I came close, but no cigar. Dixie is in one of the photo’s to the left. Can you find her?

 

SAM_3217SAM_3218

You have to click the 1st picture and find where Mt. McKinley is suppose to be before you assume, because I assumed and I was wrong. She is hidden in the white clouds behind the foothills. Double Top mountain was pretty though, so that kind of made up for it.

 

Ok I was just a little disappointed in not seeing Mt. McKinley but that is ok. Gives me a good reason to fly back up here with Lori, rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle and do it all over again. I know she would go for that. Right Lori? There is so much cool stuff to see here and if any of you follows have a mind to come up here, Garrett Teams nailed it, the dry season is normally mid-May through the end of June. Plus the Mosquitoes are not bad yet. They are starting to roll out in places, but so far not to bad.

One more disappointment to mention because I drove so far to see it is the Denali Highway. It is closed and hasn’t been repaired to allow me to make the run. I will give it one more look when I arrive in Fairbanks on my return from Prudhoe. I want the road, but I will not lose sleep over missing it. I’ll catch it next time.

Let’s just talk a little bit about tomorrow and the next two days after. On this trip, this will be the biggest challenge for me. It all depends on the weather on being fun and being a nightmare. I pray for dry, dry, dry, and I’ll take whatever cold. Suit should keep me warm, plus I have my cold gear from under armour that well allow me to layer further if it gets bad. I have over gloves for wet, so I’m double covered to keep those hands dry and warm. As long as my heated socks functions, my toes should be good. It’s just the hands and feet that suffer for me on a motorcycle. Rarely the core, just the extremities. Looking at the weather, research, and talking to the locals, the last 80 miles should be my greatest challenge, but only if wet.

Coldfoot weather

Prudhoe Bay Weather

SAM_3213

 

If you couldn’t find Dixie, her she is. D for Dixie!!

 

 

 

Pictures of the Day

3 comments:

  1. A man and his redheaded mountain woman. Sounds like a tv show ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like warm toes and a redheaded TV show!

    ReplyDelete