Sunday, June 22, 2014

Alaska 2014 – Day 8 June 21th

Today was time to move on and leave McCarthy’s for Denali National Park. Mother nature showed up last night and it poured rain all night making a muddy mess throughout the town.That 60 miles of dirt we had to travel to get out of McCarthy’s, was going to be fun. The second thing that I noticed was that from about 5000 feet and above there was fresh blanket of snow spread on top of all the mountains in view. It was a very pretty view.

The one thing thing that I didn’t mention, was that last night before bed, I met a fellow motorcycle rider from Reno, NV that just made his way to Alaska. We talked about Dual Sport riding, equipment, and Alaska. We talked until 12:30 am and I finally had to call it quits so I could hit the bed. First thing in the morning, I shook Dan’s hand and wished him well on his adventure.

Leaving McCarthy’s the roads were wet and muddy. 60 miles of dirt and crap being thrown up on this new SUV. She is a mess. I will be taking her to a carwash before I return it to the rental company. I’m sure if they saw it at this moment in time, they would not be happy. You can’t even lift the rear hatch without having to go wash your hands afterwards. You also definitely do not want to lean up against it either.

So we ran 60 miles of dirt to get out of McCarthy’s and then when we arrived at Paxson, we ran another 134 miles of dirt to reach Cantwell. It is one dirty SUV. Watching Lori open the door and get in and out it is kind of funny. The windshield wiper on the back sounds like it is grinding sand paper on wood when you activate it. As far as the ride over to Denali today, it was a very disappointing ride. Good news was this time, Highway 8 was open unlike last summer, but even though it was open, it rained and it was foggy. So there wasn’t much to see and the wild life I hoped to see was also missing in action. The only excitement was trying to avoid potholes that were lined up in series while doing 70 mph.

So here we sit just outside the Denali National Park and the weather forecast tomorrow is only 10% chance of rain with partly cloudy skies. My goal is to drive back into the park the 15 miles that they allow and then maybe a little fun. I’m thinking it might be time to return some ATV’s or All terrain vehicles that have 6 wheels. Hmm, should I tell her before hand? Nah! Let’s see what happens.  Lastly, it is currently 12:15am and it looks like it is 5:00pm in the afternoon. So weird!

 

Pictures of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment