Thursday, June 26, 2014

Alaska 2014 – Day 13 June 26

Transition day. We woke up to a steady rain again this morning and it is exactly what I was expecting. So we ate, packed, and said our goodbyes to our host at the B&B. I actually talked to him about coming back March 2015 so we could witness the Northern lights. I’m going to consider this highly and I imagine I will make it happen. He told us he got married last January outside on a sunny day and the temperature was 10 degrees. These pure breed Alaskans are crazy.

Today we left Fairbanks by 9:30am and drove the entire 370 miles without a lunch break. We did have a snack or two in the car and we did take one gas break, among other things. :) We didn’t take but six pictures because for the most part we couldn’t see anything. Lori saw her moose run across the yard at the B&B, so our trip is complete.

Tonight when we went to eat at a Greek restaurant, the woman who greeted us to seat us did something that I’ve never in my 53 years of life seen. She actually greeted us both with a hug, smile, and a welcome before seating us. She had to be 70 or more. Great waitress and after dinner, she even gave both of us a hug goodbye. Even if the food was terrible, wouldn’t that make you feel great to be greeted that way? It wasn’t creepy at all. It was like my mother greeting us. I had Lasagna and Lori had Calzone and even though mine was a little bland, everything else was yummy. The bread was really good. Pizza Olympia was the place and if you fly into Anchorage, put it on your list if you need a hug and Greek/Italian food. :)

Tomorrow we plan on getting a slow start, checkout, and then roam around Anchorage all day until it is time to head to the airport. Out flight lifts off for Chicago at 10:06pm. Touchdown at Dulles around 11:30am. So I should have a day and half to get back in sync with east coast time.

Pictures of the Day

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got to see Denali on the 22nd, and take a dip into Chena Hot Springs a couple of days later. From the description of meals it sounds as if you've dined your way all the way through Alaska from one end to the other. And I don't think I've ever seen a nicer, well-kept set of old cars as the ones in the auto museum. What a great trip!

    ReplyDelete