Saturday, June 21, 2014

Alaska 2014 – Day 7 June 20th

Today was a no plan day for us, so anything we came up with was going to be ok with me. I just didn’t want to feel like I had to be somewhere at a certain time or felt like I had to see something. So we got up, showered, found breakfast and then we say around talking to other tourist. That was actually quite fun and I wasted to much time running my mouth. That never happens, right?

Ok, so we decided that we were going to shuttle back over to Kennecott and tour the open buildings that the tour didn’t cover. The first thing we hit was the restored Kennecott Lodge. Inside that the lodge, that was very well restored, was artifacts that had been recovered from the surrounding property inside and out. We also decided to eat lunch at the lodge and I order my first Buffalo hamburger. To be honest, I couldn’t tell the difference from cow meat versus buffalo meat. Even the texture of the meat was the same. How would I rate the Kennecott Lodge over the Ma Johnson Hotel? They are just different but I like them both equally. The Kennecott looks like it more modern items inside and they did offer wifi. I guess having Internet in this day and age would be nice, but I survived it. I will say that it does feel different being almost totally out of touch with the outside world.

So after lunch we hit the rest of the open buildings and took some very nice pictures of the old structures, some restored and some not so much. The buildings not restored the put them in a state so they would not decay further. Not sure how they do that.

After we covered the buildings we took off on a 4 mile round trip hike out to the Root of the Glacier. Nothing spectacular, but the exercise was good for both of us. I injured my left knee playing racquetball 2 weeks before this trip, so I was a little worried I was not going to able to hike. All is good and it feels like it is getting stronger by the day. Below I will have my normal picture of the day link, but I do want to point out just a few. Also tomorrow, we leave the no contact zone and return to the world. So the rest of my blogs will be on time.

I so wanted to drive this Duce, but they wouldn’t let me. Damn it!!

This is our Hotel, very cute and it is a living museum.

 

More buildings inside this very little dirt road town of McCarthy.

My first macro picture of a flower with the new camera. Pretty awesome.

Ok, back on the road tomorrow and if all goes well, we will end up in the Denali National Park.

Pictures of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment