Saturday, April 18, 2009

What a Beautiful Weekend

Here is a real quick video of Doug Meikle cruising through the Shenandoah Valley. I will post more later about the weekend trip.
___________________________________________________________________

My Udpated info:

Lori and I meet up with Doug at Sheetz in Boyce at 9:30am and the morning air was clean and brisk. I was expecting nice weather for the day and it looked as though it was not going to disappoint. After we fueled are bikes and chatted a bit we hit the road on our first leg.

The ride through the Shenandoah County could not have been prettier. The skies were perfectly clear and the roads were for the most part clear of traffic. Our first set of twisties had Doug chasing the camera mounted on my trailer pointing aft. The GoPro and the trailer combined did a fantastic job of shooting some very stable video. We reached speeds of 60 to 65 mph and the camera never lost focus and had minimal shake. At our first stop, I wanted to switch the camera from the trailer to atop Lori's helmet. What an interesting view that was. I will post a video clip from the helmet cam soon.

We stopped in Harrisonburg for lunch at Mrs.Rowes buffet. For $7.75, it included all you could eat, salad, meal, dessert, and drinks, (non-acholic). If you like country style cooking, and your in Harrisonburg, look no further than Mrs. Rowes.

Now with full bellies, we headed east on some backroads to connect to Hwy 33. We took this over the mountain heading to Horton's. Some of these old town's that we road through looked as though they were locked in time, some 50 years ago. The one that stood out the most was Gordonsville. Even I would like to return to these Histroic towns and do a little foot walking. We arrived at Horton's Winery, which is a neat little place to visit, bought a few items and resumed our ride.

As we approached Lake Anna, I knew that Doug would be wanting split routes and head home, so I found a place to stop and we said our goodbyes till next time. Lori and I coutinued to Fredericksburg to find our hotel and then a place to eat. We put just over 300 miles on the motorcycle and trailer and I was very pleased with both units. I do not think we will have an issue on the road unless Lori does to much shopping.

The next morning we got up, went to the BMW open house, bought some new boots for me and oil for the second motorcycle at home. Once I had my fill of looking at new machines and running my mouth with all the other bikers, we headed home. What a great two days of riding in almost perfect weather. I just wish I had the power to create such weather on my own.





Doug Meikle

2 comments:

  1. I went to school in Harrisonburg for 4 years and never heard of Mrs. Rowes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't surprise me a bit. This is not your Teenage kind of place. Average age through the door has to be 60. :)

    ReplyDelete