Tuesday, May 29, 2012

May 2012 Day 12, the last loop

Today’s plan was to do a little sight seeing and visit the manufacture of the trailer that I tow behind the motorcycle. The weather was right on the spot for riding, with a threat of afternoon rain.

So first order of business was to fly down the Interstate 75 and cruise into Bushtec and see if they were open for a tour. By per accident we fell inline with four other bikers, two pulling Bushtec trailers so I started to follow them through town thinking that they already knew the way. It didn’t take me long to figure out the leader was using a Garmin GPS because he was making turn for turn as I would and I knew he was in trouble when he didn’t follow one of the Bushtec posted signs on the side of the road. So I broke from the group and made my way to Bushtec alone. Yes, they came rolling into the parking lot about 5 minutes later all laughing about that GPS and the many wrong turns it was making. I’ve been there many times.  I was really disappointed at the Bushtec Facility. One trailer on display, no accessories, and no one to ask questions. They now had at least 3 customers waiting to be served, so Lori and I didn’t even hang around. We hit the road to resume our tour.

We soon found ourselves meandering through the country on Rt25w even though we were heading NE. I knew eventually I would intercept Rt90 and then the compass thing would workout. 90 was a little on the rough side when you got to the tops of the mountains. Even the though the asphalt had seen better days, the scenery on the sides of the roads with the tress and rocks all made it worth while.

Rolling into Middleboro, Lori notice on the welcome sign that it is the only town built inside a meteor crater. How cool is that? Here we ate lunch and filled the bike up just to make sure I could reach our hotel without another stop. After lunch we crawled up, with the motorcycle, to Pinnacle Overlook in Cumberland Gap Park. Elevation 2440 but a view that was killer. Here is another link that tells how the Gap was used over the years. Not to surprising, the southern forces had a cannon with earthworks built halfway up the hill for defense during the Civil War.

After leaving the GAP we headed for Pine Mountain State Park for a little more site seeing. Unfortunately mother nature decided for us that we would not be walking around or hiking any trails because it started to rain. Rain to me wasn’t a bad thing after the last 3 days of above 90 degree torture. It was actually a very pleasant soft rain that cooled the temperatures down to the mid 70’s and we just rode.

This pretty much has ended our vacation because tomorrow morning we will load all our gear back into the trailer and start our 480 mile trek back to Stephens City, Va. I figure we will spend about 8 to 9 hours on the road with stops, as long as traffic is good.I will have to do the math when I get home, but this two week trip should add up to just over 4000 miles. Except for when I dropped the bike making a u-turn, it’s been a real good trip.

Pictures of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment