Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 5 – Was Titanic

We said our goodbye’s to the nice folks that were running the Cedar  Crest SAM_0194Inn in Asheville NC and left determined to do our best to get back for a long weekend during Christmas. Anytime just before or just after would be great to see all the decorations at the Biltmore.

The promise of rain was all that we thought we were going to get for our ride across the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Cherokee. We donned our wet suits and started our journey only to be booted off the BRP about 10 miles into the ride. Appears a 6 mile section was under repair and there was about a 20 mile detour then back on route. Luckily the detour put us back on the Parkway just 3 miles away from the only stop I had planned and that was the Graveyard SAM_0196 fields waterfalls. We made the hike to the lower falls and there we ran into 5 kids, I say kids but they were all college students at Clemson, that wanted their picture taken together. While Lori was doing this, I was taking a video and promised to email to them when I could. Unfortunately, where we are staying now is connected via DSL and it would take me forever and a day. I will post it to the blog if I can ever get it to upload. The waterfall was worth the hike, even though the climb back out in rain gear was a little hot.

Back on the road  we ran into a few sections of road that was foggy and misty, but for the most part we had good visibility and great ride. After dropping into Cherokee, we stopped for a snack and learned that SAM_0198Clingman’s Dome will be closed until May 28th, so once again I will miss this attraction. The last major leg of the day would take us over US441 into Pigeon Forge where the Titanic Museum is located and our cabin was in the  general area.

What a climb to the cabin! The road to the cabin was paved but the grade for the last mile or so was on a 25 to 30 degree grade. The driveway was mostly flat and paved so that was a relief. Let’s see, since we arrived at the cabin we have 4 very large wild Turkey’s, one with 4 little turkeys. Whatever you call their offspring. Then a raccoon came knocking at the front door, SAM_0201 side door, and then back porch door. This little was not scared of humans at all and almost acted like he was expecting a hand out. Then to beat all, Princess, Lori came bouncing out of the bathroom sweaking bug! oversized creepy thing, so I grudging I walk into the bathroom look into the tub and said, “I’ll be damn”. We had a 1 inch scorpion looking dead, but he was alive. I crushed him and flushed him and world is a better place according to Lori. Let’s just say Princess is not dealing with a the critters to well.

The Titanic Museum was a neat place to visit, but I would not do it again. There was some neat details and they tried to play it up, but I guess to me, we all know the details and they have been exposed in so many ways. SAM_0209

Tomorrow we are expected mostly sunshine and good riding weather. The exact route has not been decided, but I three to choose from. Pictures? I might not be able to get everything done working on DSL, so picture might have to wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment