Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 26–It was a cooker!!

SAM_1626

People in the lobby always smile and wonder how we are going to fit all this stuff on a motorcycle, not knowing that we have a trailer. They see the helmet hanging and you can see the look in their eyes saying, “No way!”

This morning we got up bright an early an hour sooner than normal because we would losing an hour heading east. We moved from Mountain to Central time zone when we crossed into Kansas. The first 3 hours of the ride was great considering we were just rolling along east bound toward home. Then about 11:30am the temperatures started to roll. We had to stop at a rest area just to redo our riding gears. So now just riding in the proper armor and the bare essentials underneath we were ready for the rest of the ride.

 



 

SAM_1632We rolled into Colby, KS for lunch an fuel and the reported temps on my Iphone weather.com was 91. After leaving Colby and about 30 minutes into the ride I reached down and grab the thermometer hanging on the bike and it read 102. It stayed that way the rest of the ride into Topeka. I guess the heat that was being generated off the concrete, bike, and air was combining to make the 102. I made sure to drink something every 30 minutes and offer Lori the same. Then I also stopped every 90-100 miles and made sure we both drank at least 8-12 ounces of water. It was not fun but we have done it before and will do it again tomorrow. That gas pump picture above, did you catch the price per gallon? Can you imagine what I thought when I first saw it? Can you just imagine?

 



 

SAM_1633Tomorrow? We are scheduled to ride from Topeka to Louisville KY, but we may or may not make that because of tires again. To my despair, the back tire has 7500 miles on it and it is not going to make it home. She has started to show the cords and needs to be replaced as soon as possible. So the plan is to get up in the morning and ride to Kansas City an stop at a Honda shop and see if they will put my spare tire on the bike. The worst case scenario is that I will have to buy a new tire from them, but I really want to burn this old tire up instead of just throwing it away. I figure I got 3000 miles left on it, plus I dragged it across the country and back in my trailer, so let’s burn it. Depending on how long this takes, we may be riding in the dark for the first time on this trip to makeup lost time in the shop. let’s just hope once again, they can fit me in.

Todays run was 550 miles, and our total is now 9286.

Click here for todays pictures:

Tomorrows route is pictured below:

Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 8.12.21 PM

The Picture below shows what we have completed and what we have left. The Red is complete and the Green is what is left.

Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 8.12.47 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment