Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 21 - Another really nice day.

Once again we were blessed with another really nice day all around. The sun was out, it’s wasn’t to hot and no rain or snow. We got a little chatty with a couple of Motorcycle riders in Moab and then again down the road at natural bridges. So all this talking and not doing put us a little behind, but we enjoyed that almost as much as riding and looking at scenery.

First off I got the oil for the Motorcycle and I will be changing that on the road sometime in the near future when opportunity strikes. Second item is that I thought my trailer tires were good but closer examination this morning showed tread starting to peak through the rubber of one tire. Grrr! I got a call into Bushtec Trailers to see if they can ship pronto to a designated location so I can ensure that the trailer will make it home without grief. If I can get the tires in my hands, I can do the change myself. I knew tires was going to be an issue with this entire trip and it is living up to that fear. Moving on…..

We drove down to Nature Bridges National Park just southwest of Blanding Utah this morning and there were three bridges here that we really wanted to checkout. What we didn’t know was how difficult the first two trails were going to be. To be as brief as possible, trail one had 3 ladders that we had to transition, two set of steps that were about 30 steps each, and too many rails attached to rocks to keep you from slipping down the rock face to fast to count. Going down to the first bridge I told Lori this is all cool right now, but wait for the return trip. It was steep and we needed three rest breaks on the way back to catch a breath. I consider myself in pretty good shape, but this was almost straight up climbs without ropes.

The second bridge trail wasn’t quite as steep but it was longer in distance so since we were already taxed from the first trail, this just added to it. The last trail was like a relief for the first two in that it wasn’t steep at all and much, much, shorter. The reward at the end of each trail of the natural bridges that were formed from erosion from millions of years was spectacular. Once again the picture are nice, but do the size no justice.

We were at this park for more than 4 hours, so by the time we did lunch and drove back to Moab it was already 5pm. So I turned into Moab Adventure to ask about a Hummer Desert ride for this evening and unfortunately they were booked. So we didn’t get to do this, nor did we make Canyonlands for the second straight day. Like Mr. Mace said, you will need a couple of weeks here to see everything that it has to offer and he is right.

Tomorrow we are not going to extend are stay in Moab because to be honest, I’m ready to roll-on. I like to ride and like driving to see things and it is not important to me to stop to see stuff. Sometimes it is just as much fun to fill the senses with all that surrounds you as you are driving by. So tomorrow we will leave Moab and make are way into Colorado. One of the roads is classified as one of the Top 10 most dangerous roads in the United States. It is really not all that bad for cars an or motorcycles, but for big rigs, buses, and large RV’s, it is a dangerous road. The road in question is Highway 550.

Todays run was 238 miles, and our total is now 7402.

Click here for todays pictures:

Tomorrows route is pictured below:

Screen shot 2011-06-01 at 9.54.39 PM

The Picture below shows what we have completed and what we have left. The Red is complete and the Green is what is left.

Screen shot 2011-06-01 at 9.55.04 PM

1 comment:

  1. Dix - Been following almost every day. Great pics and write-ups. I'm jealous in a weirdly voyeuristic way. So if I go out and get a bike now the wife will certainly blame you. Ha! Looking forward to hearing more about the trip when you get home. Be careful on those Chris Maney tires (sounds like they're as smooth as his melon!) C U soon.

    ReplyDelete